Worcester 240 pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all,

wondering if you guys can help with a problem i'm having with my boiler

the boiler keeps kettling, cutting out and the reset button pops up. i then reset it and then it'll do the same again

what i noticed was that i couldn't hear the pump. when i touch the pump it's scalding hot. i opened the plated screw and found that sometimes it's spinning and sometimes not

i have followed the fault finding in the service manual and voltages are fine

i have then drained the boiler circuit, unfastened the pump head and wired to a mains plug. Tested it by plugging into mains and it runs fine on all three speeds, although on the first two speeds you can tell that there is a faulty bearing

i have put the pump back in and it ran for a day (both h/w and c/h) and i could hear like a noise from the pump like it's struggling. however now i'm back to same situation

is it the pump or is it something else? what do you guys reckon?

thanks for your time and i appreciate any feedback anyone could give

Jay :)

Sponsored Links
Replace it for a start if the bearing is worn.

Tony

It might not be your pump if its running fine seperatley,is there 240 v when its not spinning.if there isnt might be pcb,if it is check for sludge

What about the kettling? Is it kettling? What boiler is it? How old?

Sponsored Links
Breesey";p="764008 said:
What about the kettling? Is it kettling? What boiler is it? How old?[/quote]

I think that its a Worcester 240 !

They are usually about 7-11 years old.

Tony

Thanks very much for replying guys

Agile, do you think i'd be ok to just buy the pump head motor or should buy the whole pump?

Breesey, yeah it's a Worcester 240 RSF and i think it was installed around '94 - '96

yes it fires up nicely, fan comes on, pilot comes on, main burner comes on
then you hear ketlling from the main burner compartment and you feel like somethings gonna pop out of the boiler
it'll come to a halt with a few more kettle sounds and then reset switch pops out

Frank UK, the PCB is delivering 240v and when i drained the boiler circuit there didn't appear to be any sludge in the water that came out. Am I right in thinking this is where you're meaning to check?

Thanks again guys :)

I think that its a standard Grunfoss pump, check the power rating to see if it needs a 15-50 or a 15-60.

If thats so then buy the pump about £60 and just change the head.

As a boiler part its will be over £100 !!!

Tony

then you hear ketlling from the main burner compartment and you feel like somethings gonna pop out of the boiler
it'll come to a halt with a few more kettle sounds and then reset switch pops out

Change the pump then hope that you don't get kettling!! If you do heat ex could be furred up.

Change the pump then hope that you don't get kettling!! If you do heat ex could be furred up.

Cheers Breesey, i take it you mean the heat to water exchanger? or dya mean gas to heat up in the main burner compartment?

I think that its a standard Grunfoss pump, check the power rating to see if it needs a 15-50 or a 15-60.

If thats so then buy the pump about £60 and just change the head.

As a boiler part its will be over £100 !!!

Tony

hey Tony, thanks for your reply

yeah it's a UPS 15-60... although what does this actually mean? what's the difference between the 15-50 and 15-60

i've seen quite a few people selling the 15-50 on ebay new and used but no 15-60s

thanks again guys ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back