worcester 24iJunior help needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I replaced the flow and return to the boiler from my house to the garage. I drained the system, hooked up the new pipes, filled the system up to 1.5 bar, vented the rads and switched the thing on. The boiler did not work and suddenly stopped. I took the control panel off and a fuse had blown. Now when I switch on the blue light flashes continually after about 3 minutes. I noticed water had leaked from a bleed valve onto the block that feeds the fan. I guess the fan is blown.........Stupid question but could it be something else? The fan is around £180 so I'm just checking all avenues. Last question......when you switch the boiler on should the fan come on right away. Btw the design of the water above the fan plug is nuts. Btw the boiler is 2.5 years old.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
If water has leaked then it will need very careful checking.

Very often I can recover parts which have become wet.

Its quite possible that the PCB has also been damaged.

When the boiler is first powered it goes through some kind of checking or start up procedure for a few seconds which I think may include running the fan.

A professional would have isolated the boiler flow and return which would retain DHW on a combi and lessen the chance of problems like yours.

You could see if the pump is seized but after that there may not be a lot you can do. ( See FAQ on this site for pump )

Tony

Worcester, very kindly, include a basic fault finding system utilising the blue light on the front. record the sequence and check in the manual or post results on here

Just had a problem with my 24i and was looking at a big bill. The pump has gone and I'm getting crazy prices just for the part. Over £100 but guess what. I can get one on e-bay for £35, so check on there before you part with any money. You may need to find out the make and model of your fan first. My pump has Bosch on the front but it ain't a Bosch, it's a Grundfos 15/60. Even local plumbers merchants can get me one for £48 + VAT.

Sponsored Links
Peadee, would you like your boiler repaired cheaply on Saturday morning?

Peadee, would you like your boiler repaired cheaply on Saturday morning?
How cheap would it be and how do you suggest getting around the logistics of the situation? Given that you are in London and I am in Manchester! If you can do it for less than I can buy the pump then please, feel free.

Hi Guys

There seems to be a bit of confusion, its the fan that the problem is with not the pump. The flow and return does not need isolated. I was talking about the pipes outside of the boiler, I had not even taken the cover off at this stage as it should not have required it. The problem is the bleed valve in the boiler which is just above the un-protected fan, had leaked onto the fan plug and blew the board. I have just taken the fan apart (10 min job) and removed the blown board. This type of damage is non recoverable! Several components taken out!

Fyi, the fan is the third part of the sequence and if it wont spin all stops and rightly so. I can now answer the question I posed myself,lol

The design is nuts, the bleed valve is in a stupid place which I believe was redesigned in the current model. The blue light flashing tells you a couple of things to look at and one is the fan. I checked that 240v is coming out of the main board to the fan (use purple and brown) so I know the control board is fine. I am now trying just to buy a board for the fan but this seems impossible as the fan comes as one unit around £180.00! To fit the board and get the thing up and running is about an hours work. I have spoken to worcester and got a very cheeky and unhelpful response and have emailed them as well. I have rang the fan maker and the board maker but they wont sell the board alone! They all claim "green" credentials and want to sell me three quarters of a part I dont need! I'm not sure if the rest of the boiler makers are the same but I wont be buying worcester again and thats for sure. One last thing, my advice for what its worth to anyone who reads this is to place some cloths etc under the valve in the boiler if they drain the system to stop this happening.

Thanks for any replies, I have checked ebay but cant find a fan for this model. If I get any where with worcester I will post the out come.

Thanks

Sorry, I think I caused the whole fan/pump confusion thing by harping on about my pump. Can you post the make and model number of your fan and I will have a look around for you while I'm looking at the pumps. Post the board details too if you like and I will find one of those.

You must be the only one of us here with access to ebay. :eek:

I wonder how many DIYers would like us to repair their boilers with ebay parts?

Do you do your grocery shopping there too? Where can I buy the cheapest Cadburys chocolate fingers? Preferably stale ones. In a moody box. Flood damaged but perfectly dried out. From Cadbury's renowned factory in Nigeria.

PS: If I don't like them, I will ring Cadburys and tell them that is the last box I'm buying.

Thanks Peadee, the board is made by ebmpapst with serial number 0572L11-08, also AM 051005. The fan is worcester part number 87172044530 and the ebmpapst number is RG128/1300. I just think its a shame to replace the whole fan.... and dearer

Thanks for the replies guys except.......

In reply to Simond........what planet r u on???? Thats as about as cheeky an answer as I have ever come across.....r u sad and lonely, lol, If you live any where near Belfast drop me your address and we can discuss further.

Simond, I buy all sorts of stuff on e-bay. If you know your stuff it's a real gem, then again if you don't it's a bit dodgy. You would be well advised to give it a miss!

I've had a mooch around and I think you have been quoted a realistic price, which surprises me greatly!
I have a 24i Junior but my part number is different to yours thankfully, cos my fan would cost about quarter of the price. After looking at the part I'm guessing yours is newer than mine and a condenser and that is prob where the the extra cost lies. Can't find anything that relates just to the board but I will keep an eye out for a day or two

I just typed ebm-papst into google and they have a website and the part you refer to is listed on there. You can't buy it online but there is contact info on the site and you could maybe get in touch with them and arrange something. It's a long shot though cos the site doesn't look as though it represents a company that deals with individuals but, you can give it a go if you haven't already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back