worcester 28CDi Air flow fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All, I am selling house and exchanging in the next week and boiler conks! :(
The boiler a worcester 28CDi is old and not regularly serviced.
I went on line and looked at the worcester site at the user manual under: INDICATOR LIGHTS

The mains electricity indicator is ON
The Central Heating Demand Indicator is ON
The Domestic hot water demand indicator is FLASHING FAST (5 times per second) the manual says this indicates a: Air flow fault (RSF) or Flue gas spillage
The Flame detection indicator is OFF
# I tried Reset Button and after various clicks it stays the same.
# I checked the Flue which is straight through a cavaity wall to outside and clean as a whistle.
# Water pressure is OK
# I removed the cover and exposed the fan and noticed when I switched the boiler on and off the small fan blades moved 2 or 3 inches then stopped as though it was trying to go.
I removed the fan assembly-no sign of damage and re-installed.
I used a multimeterand checked voltage against the red and balck terminals. When I switched the boiler on at mains, I had 205 volts AC for a few seconds, the little blades moved 2 or 3 inches and then the voltage cut off completely.

Do I need a new fan??? Or is there some other potential problem I have missed.
Should the fan be spinning full bore when it gets the 205 volts and is the fact that the fan is not spinning/extracting causing the lack of "Air flow fault" which is stopping the main burner from firing up.

ALL HELP GREATFULLY RECEIVED WITH THANKS :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
You do realise youve just broken the combustion seal?
Get a professional in, he'll tell you straight away or ring Worcester or BG for a fixed repair

Do not re-attempt to light the boiler again, this is outside diy range.

sorry I am confused:
If I had thought I was just going to get lectured I would not have bothered to ask......

This is is supposedly the remit of the site:

DIY can be both challenging and rewarding - this is where DIYnot.com aims to help. Our expert teams have brought together hundreds of information pages. Why not Do It Yourself?

should it be instead unless you are fully qualified its too dangerious to do anything.com, just pay the experts a fortune.com?

i am not impressed :(

Sponsored Links
DIY can be both challenging and rewarding - this is where DIYnot.com aims to help. Our expert teams have brought together hundreds of information pages. Why not Do It Yourself?

should it be instead unless you are fully qualified its too dangerious to do anything.com, just pay the experts a fortune.com?

close we where gonna rename it

in loving memory . com

go kill yourself boy we ain't gonna tell you how :idea:

From HSE website

Can I still supply individuals proposing to carry out DIY in their own homes with gas appliances/ fittings?
Yes, providing they are competent to do the work. You may want to remind those wishing to undertake DIY of the possible risks to themselves and to others when they are carrying out gas work.

While Britons are increasingly turning to DIY in an effort to save some money during the recession, one sector commentator has warned that there are some jobs people should never attempt.

Ben Richards, content editor at housetohome, said that tackling plumbing jobs could not only be potentially dangerous, it could also end up costing more than the original job in order to fix any mistakes.

He added that many contractors were licensed to carry out such work safely.

"Only Gas Safe registered engineers should carry out work on gas boilers or appliances and even the most experienced DIYers should stay away from these kinds of jobs," Mr Richards advised.

He went on to recommend that homeowners ensure the professional they hire comes with positive references.

See
www.co-gassafety.co.uk/

We are not trying to be uncooperative but by encouraging you to do this yourself we are condoning something that goes against everything we have been taught and adhere to...
I have no idea how competent/incompetent you are but you must appreciate that to advise you against doing something that could potentially kill or harm yourself/family others is morally irresponsible.
I find your cavalier attitude and statement about 'pay the experts at forum.com' frankly childish.
You encourage us to dish out willy nilly information that could lead to a gas related incident just so you can save a few quid? Like I say you may be able to do it fine, but the next person who is NOT competent reads the post and thinks, 'oh if he can do it so can I'
Promptly starts, and fluffs it, kills his family..... Im sure you will be very happy.... cos you saved a few quid.

And please dont you dare come back with the age old mantra about us just being out to rip people off... there are many many people who come on here and are given expert FREE advise from people who dont have to.. You really have no idea how much it costs us to train, be assessed, attend courses, train, be assessed again - CONSTANTLY..... you have no idea.... much like when it comes to your boiler and indeed your ethics.

Go on, do what you want, you becoming another statistic will only help prove to people what weve been saying for years.

This is is supposedly the remit of the site:

We do give advice, lots of it. Unfortunately, sometimes that advice has to be: "it is not safe to carry on, get a pro to make sure there will be no accident."
Most of the resident posters will not give advice on safety related aspects unless it can be reasonably expected to be interpreted correctly, and used safely.

i am not impressed :(
You are not injured either.
Did you read the notice at the top of the forum about DIY gas?

"Most of the resident posters will not give advice on safety related aspects unless it can be reasonably expected to be interpreted correctly, and used safely".

well given that even hanging a picture on a wall carries a huge amount of health and safety issues. I am surprised you risk saying anything to anyone about anything :confused: .
e.g. drilling a hole, is drill safe to use, have you checked for pipes/ wires behind the wall, using a dectector, are you wearing goggles and ear protection is your ladder safe, is it the right size and height,are you competantant to follow instructions.

SO VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING FROM CHANGING A PLUG TO CHANGING A TAP WILL JUST BE TOO DANGERIOUS AND TOO RISKY FOR AND ONE OF YOUR EXPERTS TO SAY ANYTHING BUT THEY CAN GET SOMEONE TO DO THE JOB FOR YOU. A GREAT DIY SITE :rolleyes:

WASTE OF TIME! I WONT BE BACK!

SO VIRTUALLY EVERYTHING FROM CHANGING A PLUG TO CHANGING A TAP WILL JUST BE TOO DANGERIOUS AND TOO RISKY FOR AND ONE OF YOUR EXPERTS TO SAY ANYTHING BUT THEY CAN GET SOMEONE TO DO THE JOB FOR YOU. A GREAT DIY SITE icon_rolleyes.gif

WASTE OF TIME! I WONT BE BACK!

oh dear

how sad

never mind

i'm sure you won't be missed :rolleyes:

go kill yourself boy we ain't gonna tell you how

He's flogging the house Kev, it won't be him he kills. Feel sorry for the poor b*ggers buying it though. Hope they haven't got kids.

INFORMATION FROM ONE DIY 'ER

Incorrect advice deleted. What he did could kill someone.

Mod 10

what an a** hole

you did of course check the integrity of ALL the seals

you did of course check the burner pressure inlet pressure and gas rate

you did of course do the basic electrical checks

na you didn't get ripped off

freakin glad i ain't buying your house cowboy :evil:

...Talking to the heating engineer at the shop ...
This shows your ignorance about the subject as much as any part of your posts so far.
The knob in the shop is certainly no heating engineer; if he was, why would he be working in a shop for £7 an hour?
Just because you managed to get it working, does by no means prove that it is working correctly, or safely.
A car with no brakes or faulty steering will go as fast as you want.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back