Worcester 28cdi - do I need a new fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post! I'll try and make it brief.

Worcester 28cdi combi did not provide any heat or hot water, flashing lights, internet suggested an "air flow fault". I had to call out a firm to investigate. Unfortunatley I was not contacted as i could make it back to be there. They diagnosed a seized fan and used wd40, fan running and heat & HW. This was 5 days ago and all is fine.

They recommended a new fan and have quoted, system is 16 years old, just looking for some opinions. Do I need a new fan? I've had no issues with the boiler, is it liable to seize again given its had wd40 for the first time in 16 years?!.

Many thanks

Trev

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, yeh I would have mentioned something along this line as wd40 may not have been the best thing to apply.

If its running, fan not damaged, annoyed that they did not contact me, what should I do!

If the boiler is working fine now , do nothing and see how it goes .what did you want them to contact you for ? They have got you up and running and advised you / recommended a new fan ,and left you a quote to supply and fit one . ???

Sponsored Links
They gave me a time window between 13-1700hrs, I said I could meet, its a rented flat and fortunately for them, they got the tenant in. However the tenant is not really the person for them to deal with. I would have liked to have chatted/discussed, in person - the engineer (an employee not the owner) may have just said the same thing. They had done the PAT 2 weeks ago and I met them.

I'm ideally looking at getting a second opinion as to replace or not. If it had seized completely I would require a new fan, but as you say its running now and I'm thinking about leaving it... Or not?

It will seize again at some point in the near future. Wd40 is not a permanent fix.

You could leave it and see how it goes, I would expect you will need to fit a new one at some point ,its 16 years old I think you said. I would take the view that its better to replace now ,rather than wait for it to fail ,which sods law would dictate that will happen on a weekend ,and when its ******* freezing cold ,and you can't get an engineer cos its Xmas day !!

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. it did fail on a cold day!

If I had been there I would probably had queried wd40 as being the best lubricant to use. If a better / more appropriate lubricant was used, would I be looking at not having to replace it?.

16 years old, given the situation I'm in, its looking like a new fan.

Its an electric fan mate ,doesn't require lubrication. WD 40 more likely used as releasing agent ,rather than a lubricant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back