Worcester 28CDi RSF - heat exchanger problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ten year old 28Cdi has started to have a problem with the hot water. The symptoms are as follows:

* Central heating works perfectly
* When switching on a hot tap, the machine will produce hot water for 20 seconds, then shut off the burner, then start producing hot water again. The cycle will continue for as long as the hot tap is on.
* When the burner shuts down, the demand light is still illuminated, and the machine shows no fault codes
* Just before shutdown, the central heating pressure needle flickers 3mm back and forth.
* I swear the hot water has started to smell of something strange. The wife disagrees.

After a search of the forum, I suspect the water to water heat exchange is leaking, or got a pin hole, and so the hot water system is boiling through to the central heating circuit, and vice versa? Is this possible?

I've also seen a lot of posts where the exchanger gets blocked. We're in a heavy limescale area, if that's important.

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
i suspect that the heat ex just needs a clean out or replacing, not a job for the faint hearted on these boilers but ok when you`ve done a few

My ten year old 28Cdi has started to have a problem with the hot water.

We're in a heavy limescale area, if that's important.

Your heat ex certainly isn't holed. The scaling is the problem ;)

Thanks chaps.

If it's the water to water exchanger, then I had to remove that when I replaced the diverter valve last year, so I'm pretty happy to give that a go.

Does it make sense that it can just need a clean out, if it's sending pressure spikes through the central heating circuit?

Edited to say : is cleaning it out feasible if it's scaled - using descaling agents etc? Looks like ~£60 to buy a new one, so worth a go if it's possible.

Cheers

Gary

Sponsored Links
Okay - I've just bought a new water to water exchanger, so I'll give that a go!

What are you on about ? the thread is two years old and nothing to do with solid fuel/gas boiler link ups.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back