Worcester 28i junior showing 4 bar

As TCCheating suggested earlier its probably a pinholed heat exchanger, if it is a twin pass heat ex it will be better to replace the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Final update! I did as you suggested and water pumped out of the drain plug so no blockage? I've drained / repressurised 3 times and each time the pressure rises towards 4 bar when heating is on. I did note that the schrader valve seemed to be leaking so I removed and replaced the core, which seemed to sort that, but the bigger fault seemed unaffected. It [/i]feels as though it is taking much longer than before for the pressure to rise, but it still eventually gets there. At least I've learned a bit about my combi boiler, and thanks to all who replied and supported!
Steve

I still think there is a restriction somewhere, may not be fully blocked but can't see what else it could be (providing expansion vessel is keeping its charge that is)
If bithermal heat exchanger was pinholed it would always be refilling itself up to 4 bar or whatever your incoming mains is, even with no demand at all.

Just had a reread and i think brassed off is right, blockage or the diaphragm in the expansion vessel has split.

I'm no expert but I'm planning to do this myself soon, so I'm interested in your progress. Are you measuring the pressure as you pump up the expansion vessel? I understand that it should be around 0.7 bar. This is not the system pressure as shown by the meter on the boiler. You need to use a guage on the expansion vessel valve, like taking the pressure as you pump up a tyre. That's my understanding anyway

Sponsored Links
Hi John - yes I also read that you should measure the pressure at the Schrader valve, but as my Pound Shop pressure meter failed to show anything at all I soon gave up on that! Now I'm just praying for a reasonable repair cost...

Hi John - yes I also read that you should measure the pressure at the Schrader valve, but as my Pound Shop pressure meter failed to show anything at all I soon gave up on that! Now I'm just praying for a reasonable repair cost...

Hmmm. Well, it could still be that you're not pumping enough pressure into the expansion vessel. Not sure how many pumps needed using a bike pump until I try it myself.

I've read somewhere here that 6 at most are needed. I've certainly done that or more.

Another update. I had switched off the heating with 3.5bar showing. I checked yesterday and the pressure had dropped to 2.5 so I switched on the heating to see what would happen. Instead of rising to 4 bar as usual, it dropped into the safe zone! Made wife a celebratory cuppa and enjoyed heating for the evening. A later check while heating still running showed pressure was even lower - around 1.5 bar! Happy days!

This morning - flashing light and no heating. Pressure at zero and when I refilled the system it was noticeable that it took a few secs of allowing water in before the gauge even moved off zero, so it had assumedly dumped a lot of water overnight. Anyhoo, I got the gauge to 1.5 bar, switched on heating again, and we are currently at 3.5 bar. I surrender...

Is there somewhere near the boiler you could install an external expansion vessel? It should be a very easy plumbing job, connecting via a tee on the heating return.

I would call worcester if I were you. Pay the yearly premium and they will keep it going. These boilers have we while left yet before they are taken off of contract. However there is good reason to get a new condensing boiler. If it is installed by an approved installer it will come with a long warranty, save gas and the call outs to it (if needed) are no quibble! Parts, labour and if it isn't the boiler at fault then you still don't get charged. I'm not knocking the enthusiasm, I'm all for it but it's time to end the suffering!

Or you could call a local independent rgi who may be cheaper than the fixed price repair manufacturers offer which only covers the boiler and nothing else.
An independent can check out whole system and carry out any repairs that may be needed there also.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back