Worcester 28Si II - CH Not Working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all! Looking for some advice re a problem with my central heating.

My boiler is a Worcester Bosch 28Si II, it's a combi boiler. It is controlled by it's own control panel and a room thermostat.

The problem is that the central heating doesn't seem to fire up. The hot water however works fine. The water pressure is ok (1.5-2 whilst cold). I've also bled the system as a precaution and there appears to be no air trapped. I've also ruled out the room thermostat as a problem, as the boiler seems to be responding as usual the thermostat being changed. I have a feeling that the problem may be the pump?

Upon switching the central heating on the boiler will fire up in to life, the ignition indicator shows that it has ignited. After a few seconds I can hear a sort of bubbling sound coming from the boiler, this continues for 2-3 seconds then the ignition indicator goes off and the sound of the burner stops. From then on the only sound I can hear is a quiet buzzing which I believe may be the pump.

The boiler does have a fault warning indicator however initially nothing shows up. However if I hold the fault indicator down (it doubles as a reset button) for a few seconds, it starts to flash red roughly once a second. According to the manual this indicates an 'Ignition Lockout' caused by a problem with a burner failing to operate. I'm unsure whether this is the case though, because the hot water system works fine and whilst the hot tap is running, the boiler continues to burn. Holding the fault indicator down for a further few seconds resets the boiler and once it again it tries to fire up for the central heating, and fails..

If anybody can offer me any advice/ideas on this I would be most appreciative. This is clearly the worst time of the year to be without heating! Thankfully we have a gas fire in the lounger which can be used to heat the house but it's not ideal and can't be running over night, of course. With two young kids I'd rather not be too cold. Then again I didn't live in a centrally heated home until I was 12 years old!

Sponsored Links
the pump is sticking/stuck . its not used when runing hot water, only heating

have a look in the boiler faq at top of page theres a piece in there for sticking pump

Sponsored Links
the pump does work in hw mode as it pumps water to the plate heat exchanger & this dosent sound like a pump . Check the condensate traps clear firstly as this can block Up & cause the boiler to lock up. The boilers suffer from pcb issues as well.

Turn the the boiler off at the fuse spare then restart it .

If that doesnt help in anyway your talking a callout as its maybe diverter or pcb

wouldnt the flow recirculate around the bypass & not cut out ?? modulate down maybe. Frozen condense reckon

Thanks guys. May be looking at a call out on my Home Insurance emergency cover, just got to check it covers this.

A few people have mentioned condensate trap or something, how can I check this?

Thanks again.

wouldnt the flow recirculate around the bypass & not cut out ?? modulate down maybe. Frozen condense reckon

Not only does it not have a plate h/e, it doesn't have a condensate trap either. Perhaps know the boiler you are commenting on before you do give advice? :rolleyes:

As you can see it's not exactly easily accessible. The control panel in front of it looks easily removable but I'm not sure whether this is necessary or adviseable?

It's only one or two screws, lift off the pegs and let it dangle under the boiler.

Not only does it not have a plate h/e, it doesn't have a condensate trap either. Perhaps know the boiler you are commenting on before you do give advice? :rolleyes:

yes your right i was commenting on a different boiler.Should pay more attention :eek:Apologies to the op for any confusion. Yes no plate & no condense trap .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back