WORCESTER BOILER FAULT

I

ianblue

Help Worcester 240 Combi. Water leaking from pressure discharge pipe.

Boiler still working but pressure 1/2 Bar

Sponsored Links
Most likely expansion pressure vessel lost it's charge or nacked, will most likely have upset relief valve seating as well so will need replacing as well.

Thanks for that but what would the cause be. Its a tenented house and I would not be surprised if they had been fiddling around!

I have just read about the expansion valve and see that it contains a diaphragm. If some one put too much pressure into the system could that rupture the diaphragm?

Sponsored Links
Not likely as the pressure relief valve would discharge before pressure vessel damaged.

If they overpressurised it cold, then when hot it's going to go over 3 bar and discharge, I would check pressure is at approx 1 bar cold and see where it goes when hot, if it goes over 2 bar when hot then pressure vessel probs.

I suggest getting in guy who does your landlords gas safety certificate to look at it.

Not likely as the pressure relief valve would discharge before pressure vessel damaged.

If they overpressurised it cold, then when hot it's going to go over 3 bar and discharge, I would check pressure is at approx 1 bar cold and see where it goes when hot, if it goes over 2 bar when hot then pressure vessel probs.

I suggest getting in guy who does your landlords gas safety certificate to look at it.

Thanks for help. I have been ripped off a few times but needless to say I would never attempt any boiler repairs myself.
I have already called the engineer as soon as I got the call. I just hope he is trustworthy. :?:

Thanks for that but what would the cause be.

Lack of proper maintenance.

Boiler is serviced every year! Any more hypothetic reasons?

When I service a boiler and notice considerable system corrosion (which is by far the most likely reason why your prv failed) I tell the owner what I found and what should be done about it.
That is what I call proper maintenance.
I worked on a potty friday that had been "serviced" by a large national company. Judging by the description of the owner, it sounded like all that was done every year, is a visual inspection and a probe in the flue. As a result, the balance valve was knackered, pipes were blocked and only one rad in the place worked properly.

Well fair enough maybe you do a better job than your average engineer but all the same when I get anything repaired from my car to a computer I am at the mercy and competence or incompetence of the " expert".

If I can fix anything myself I will.

The last cowboys who tried to rip me of mascarauding as timber restoration experts tried to get me to pay £5000 to install a chemical damp proof course and replace timbers and plaster. Most of which was downright lies. I fixed it myself for less than £100 pounds.

The boiler engineer has still not come but I spoke to him on the 'phone and he quoted £185 to replace the PRV and check the expansion vessel. Is that reasonable ( I've told him to go ahead)
I wondered if the expansion vessel needed checking since the heating is working fine and the pressure only rises to 1.5bar?

Surprised I did not finish this story. I know it was a while ago.
The fault was in the pressurising valve which was passing very slightly . This took about 2 hours to over pressurise the system which then opened the PRV.
The flexible fill hose should have been removed but this was not possible as there was only one side having a valve fitted.

The flexible fill hose should have been removed but this was not possible as there was only one side having a valve fitted.
There should be a washing machine-style tap at one end, and a non-return valve on the other. As you say, the filling loop should always be removed (to comply with water regs if nothing else), but 9/10 I've seen aren't ;)

Word to the wise my friend.

the Worcester 230/40 series was discontinued in 1997. the average age of a combination boiler is 10 years and whilst some will go longer than that Worcestershire current grew star range won't be around as long as their heats laves/230/240's have been.

long story short, get saving ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back