Worcester Bosch 24i RSF - no spark and then fixed itsefl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just after some advice on my worcester Bosch 24i RSF Combi boiler.

I woke up yesterday to find no heating or hot water, had a look at the boiler and it was not attempting to "spark". Made sure the reset switch was not up (it wasn't) and then went to work thinking I would need to get someone in to have a look.

Just to clarify the boiler had power it would attempt to do something when called for HW or heating, though no spark. For heating the pump started running and so did it after the call for hot water

Came back at lunch to find a working boiler ! Which is great but I'm guessing something must be wrong ?

Looking on the advice on here apparently if there's no spark its normally the fan / flue or the Air pressure switch which could cause this. The fan was replaced last Septemeber and is fairly quiet, so I would'nt of thorght it was that but apparently the original Air pressure switch on these boilers are not particularly reliable.

Anyway just wondering if is worth doing some pre-emptive maintenance i.e. replacing my air pressure switch. Picture below of if, I don't know if this is the original one or not ? (apologies for the poor pic's - camera phone)

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

So really the help i'm after is do you think it may be the air pressure switch and if so is it worth me attempting to replace it ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
Your model seems rather prone to water in the tubes to the APS.

This is possibly condensation, rain down the flue or the AAV in the combustion chamber is leaking!

Its quite likely that was the problem but left for a while the water drops evaporated.

Tony

Well I replaced it. Seems to work fine. I would appreciate if someone with more knowledge than myself could check the below picture, as the instructions only had a wiring guide so wasn't sure about orientation, or which air pipe went in which nozzle. In the end it didn't work until I swapped the pipes around.

Part # was : 8-716-142-414-0, It came with a strange plastic holder piece as well as a metal bracket, in the end i just used the metal bracket I guess the plastic holder is for a different type of boiler ? as it has push fit adapters which wouldn't fit anywhere on my boiler chasis

Thanks in advance, hopefully it may prevent a cold start again you never know !

Andy

DSC00009.jpg

Sponsored Links
Red pipe next to side casing so its corect.

Have you checked the part number you quoted is actually the part number on the new APS.

I've had problems recently with Worcester putting the wrong APS's in the bags.

The correct one should have a red round background whereas yours is white.

The 24I suffers from conensation within the APS, changing it and ensuring the pipes are clear WILL solve the problem. ;)

GasGuru,

Just checked, and now I'm a bit worried. It seems to have a different part number on the APS than on the packet !!

The part # appears to be 8-716-146-155 (which I can't find on the internet)

All the details are:

-------------------------------------
605.994841.05/0.90mbar
1(0.5)/250

8 716 146 155
24i
-------------------------------------

So is this the wrong one ? the packet does have the other part # on it and the instructions are for the 24i, also it does have "24i" written just below the "155" part number ?

Cheers

Andy

Worcester told me the white label part was obsolete and must be years old...they could not explain why it was sold through the merchant.

I think some one's screwed up at the factory. I was told the red label part is definately the correct part. There seem to have been many variants of the APS fitted to the 24i. To be honest I don't think Worcester tech know what's going on either. You should be able to take it back to the merchant and swap it for free for the red label version.

Also just had a look at the 24i install guide from the WB website and the manufacturer's reference "seem" to match up

the 8-716-146-159-0 is Huba 605.99484

where mine seems to be 605.994841

maybe I should ring WB on Monday to confirm, I presume its not unsafe leaving it as is over the rest of the weekend ?

Up to you, after 3 calls to Worcester I was still none the wiser. I only questioned them since a customers boiler had a very intermittant APS fault (including poor NC contact resistance even on a new APS).

GG, an APS is an APS, personneally I use one type thet allows me to change the Pascals.
Aswitch is a switch.
A pump a pump (circulator, correct term).

On repairing a boiler. range or appliance for that matter I use what is there and necessary at the time. find repair/price and one call gets me so busy I cant keep u with myself, let alone my golf days ( FUTURE RETIREMENT)

I prefer to fit the correct parts not just throw any old APS at a boiler and adjust it till it works. :rolleyes:

by th way GG, I aint knocking your ability , as you know some can and some need manufacturers parts ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back