Worcester Bosch 30si problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with a worcester bosch 30si boiler. When i put the central heating on, it comes on ok for about 4 mins, then it starts running faster and the pressure dial rises rapidly from 1 bar to 2 bar and then gets louder and cuts out. The green flame indicator is off and the pump and fan stop. It takes about 30mins for the pressure to drop enough for it to reset. The hot water from the taps work ok, until all this happens with the heating. Then I have to reset the boiler before I get hot water again. I hope someone here can help me please.

Sponsored Links
This problem is usually connected with the expansion vessel.

1st you need to check that the pressure is at 1 to 1.5bar in the green area when the heating/hot water are both off.
2nd if the pressure is below the green, refill.
3rd turn on the heating and see if the pressure guage rises very quickly, if this is the case then your expansion vessel needs topping up with air.

Thanks compheat,
The pressure gauge is at one bar, as you said. When I put the heating on it runs ok for awhile, with a slight slow increase in pressure. Then all of a sudden it rises quickly (about 10secs) to 2 bar. Then goes off, the pointer on the gauge flickers/jumps a couple of times, then nothing. No warning lights or lights flashing. When the pressure drops again to1 bar the heating will come back on. You reckon this is remedied by topping up the expansion vessel?

I wasnt aware a 30si had a high water pressure switch?

Sounds like an airlock/blockage in the CH circuit to me, causing the boiler to overheat and lockout.

Sponsored Links
Its not the expansion vessel, Does it do the same on hot water??
if its ok on the hot side I'd go for the Diverter valve like Picasso as said

Changed the pump. Still the same. So he's powerflushing the system another day as the return pipe back to the boiler was still stone cold. Any thoughts?

One of the syptoms of the diverter valve sticking in the hot water position is that (1) you get hot water
and (2) when the heating is on the boiler fires up and gets hot the pump is running but the water as no where to go except around internal byepass (not sure if WB as one) so the flow pipe will get hot for a short length but the return will be stone cold.
If the Pump wasn't running you wouldn't get any hot water so how that was diagnosed I dont know?? and why would the system want power flushing after only a couple of years??

AS anybody bothered to check the diverter vavle just to eliminate it from the equation

I don't think he has checked the diverter valve compheat. I noticed yesterday while he was running the boiler again, the radiators were getting warm??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back