Worcester Bosch combi repair worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30si has developed a problem. I have hot water but no central heating. I've spoken with Worcester Bosch and they can send someone out to fix it for a set price of £262 but i dont know how big the problem is and if this price is about right to fix it.

I was hoping someone here might have an idea of what the problem is and how much i should be looking to pay to have it fixed (or can i do it myself?).

A bit more info for anyone interested: I recently drained the system to move a couple of radiators and rewire the house, the boiler was switched off for about 5 weeks. I've now repressurised the system and turned it back on but have no central heating. When i turn the room thermostat up the boiler kicks in and fires up for about 5 seconds but then the flame symbol goes out. I can hear a constant whiring noise as though the pump is on. If i then turn the hot tap on the water comes out scolding hot. When i turn the tap off the boiler kicks in again for around 5 seconds. It seems to me like the boiler is heating the hot water even when I'm asking for central heating. The hot water works fine though.

Is anyone able to help?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If the hot water is working fine then it sounds like the diverter motor has failed...a very common fault with the early type motor. Cheapish part and takes a minute to replace. Get a local boiler engineer...much cheaper than calling out Worcester.

Sponsored Links
You may be even luckier and its just a stuck paddle. Which is a 10min job. After being switched off for 5 weeks i wouldnt be surprised. As above call a local engineer. Should be a lot less than wb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back