Worcester Bosch Highflow 400 RSF - no HW when CH on

HI Tony

Certainly I will do my best to ascertain what's happening. When the engineer sub-contracted from Homeserve arrived yesterday he told me I wasn't allowed to watch! I just had to sign the paper and let him leave. So, I hope I meet with greater success today and if I can be allowed to watch and ask what parts they're replacing I'll let you know. I just want some heat in the house since being without any since New Year's Day!

Ben

Sponsored Links
Thats nonsense, its your house and you are entitled to watch if you want to.

Having said that some people can be very disconcerting when they watch and keep on asking stupid questions.

Also anyone who is below par technically ( like anyone who works for Homeserve ) will become most uncomfortable if watched.

Tony

HI Tony

Thanks for your reply. I've actually got better things to do than watch an engineer and ask what you call stupid questions. However, I needed to know what was happening in order to apply for reimbursement from Homeserve. Interestingly, the W/B Engineer detected the problem in about 4 to 5 minutes which was a fan that didn't work. He took about 10 to 15 minutes to sort this out and get the boiler working. He was amazed the sub-contractors missed this. Infact, when the first engineer visited I told him the Boiler was making a strange sound it didn't make before and he told me that was normal and I was mistaken.

The W/B engineer said the gas settings needed to be initialised and reset. The Heat Exchanger was checked along with the PCB board and I saw he checked the pump amongst other things. I was very disappointed to hear flushing the system with x400 and x100 was not covered under my policy which I'll make enquiries about tomorrow. I've already contacted a Corgi engineer to give me a quote on this. The W/B engineer said unless the system was flushed and they received the paperwork to verify this another visit would not be possible. So, more expense!

Anyway, the boiler is working now and the work is guaranteed for 30 days which should give me enough time to hire another engineer to flush the system. What do you think the cost for applying x400 and x100 should be Tony? Apparently, all further parts and labour will be covered by my policy with W/B once they receive the paperwork to show this flushing has taken place.

Ben

Be very sure that they have not asked for it to be POWER flushed which is a lot different than just putting a few chemicals in the system.

If using just chemicals then X800 is far quicker than X400.

If we had to come and add X800 and then return and drain/flush and then return and add X100 then it would be about £156.

But its really something that you could do yourself anyway.

I suppose if you could do it and needed a professional receipt we would come just for the second visit and charge £84 but you would have bought the products.

If you actually wanted us to do it then we would add an extra £20 as you are out of our area.

Tony

Sponsored Links
HI Tony

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for my delay I do alot of work at home and had a backlog I needed to clear due to heating breaking down.

Ok I need to check with Worcester-Bosch whether they want the system power flushed or just flushed with chemicals. I'll check also if they will accept x800 as opposed to the combination of x400 and x100. I'm not sure where to buy the chemicals Tony but I can happily do that but would want a professional like yourself to do it with a receipt and invoice I can post to Worcester-Bosch.

I understand you're charging £156 + £20 as I'm out of your area. Is that £176 in total? I also have another boiler a Glow-worm compact 75p and the external thermostat is no longer working. I think it's a honeywell thermostat. How much would that cost to fix?

Many thanks Ben

If we came to you then it would be £176 to apply the chemicals. But you could possibly get it done locally a bit cheaper.

If its a wall stat and done at the same time with a simple dial type then that would just be about £25 to supply and fit while there if in the same building. But are you sure thats the problem?

Tony

Hi Tony

Thank you for your quick reply. I've confirmed with Worcester-Bosch that they would be happy with a chemical flush and just wanted the system to be cleaned. The technical dept did tell me alot of rubbish would be floating around in the system and could cause further problems. I'm presuming you know all this and would make sure this rubbish would be removed? I really don't want anymore problems with the boiler so I ask.

The £176 is fine Tony and given all your help and hard work I'm happy to give the work to you. Sometime after the 5th of February would be good for me. The other boiler in the annex to the property which has a Glow-worm Compact 75p has a faulty honeywell thermostat. This boiler is under service agreement with Homeserve and the engineer that examined the boiler previously said the Thermostat needed replacing and the boiler was fine. So, I can only go by his word on this. The external thermostat wasn't covered by their service agreement only the boiler so replacing the this wouldn't be third party interference. I verified this previously.

Thanks Ben

If you wanted me to come then you must contact me by email which is given in my profile or any simple search on the internet.

Homeserve are never bothered by any work done on boilers they cover. In any case, I am a temporary Homeserve contractor tomorrow! But thats only a single boiler job where their contractors have messed up and they need an expert.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back