Worcester Camray 5 Not switching off !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have a Camray 5 oil boiler.

It started over heating and running continuously recently.

We've had the pump changed ! Frost Stat changed ! Boiler stat renewed, Flow swtich... Times, Indoor thermostat....etc.....

Anyway, after £600 + of repairs it has now decided to keep running.

It Keeps heating the rads to scalding ! I end up having to switch off at the mains and it sometimes will behave for a few days, ! Then it starts again. This time, when we switch it back on it runs the pump but doesn't fire up, it's on lock out. So we have to re set it.,, then it just bloody runs away again ! Also now No Hot Water !

After the last repair before Christmas, New frost Stat ! I thought all was well, got new oil in the tank. Grand.

SO why post here instead of calling ANOTHER engineer ?!?! Simple.,, company that supply us wont deliver LESS than 1,000 litres. So after £600 of repairs we've just spilled out another £600 on oil !!!
£1,200 in total !

So have NO MORE MONEY for an engineers to rip us off further !

Which is why I am posting here ! So please don't tell me to "CONTACT and ENGINEER" ,.. I can't ! I'm bust !

Can anyone help me ?

Sponsored Links
Check Dhw stat, control stat or a relay is sticking.
Hard to tell without checking with a multimeter.
Is the limit stat not tripping?

I have had a faulty control stat out of the box. As Terry says, you need a meter. Swapping bits will not necessarily be the quickest, and certainly not the cheapest way.

Is this really a Worcester offering, or one of the original Boulters? If it's Worcester, get Worcester to fix it. Theirs are one of the worst oil boilers around. Many repairers won't touch them. Their older Heatslaves and Danesmoors were fine, difficult to find much better, but now things are very different.

Could be sticking relay on PCB, or problem in diverter valve head. Without multimeter check, as stated, not possible to confirm. If it is sticking relay, then this means new PCB which unfortuneately is expensive. What does your engineer say? He should bear some responsibility for failure to diagnose, especially after so many parts.

Sponsored Links
What does your engineer say? He should bear some responsibility for failure to diagnose, especially after so many parts.

He says £60 call out charge before I even look at it !! Says it's nowt to do with him ! And if I don't pay him the £60 when he arrives, then he wont even look at it ! ROBBING BAR STEWARD !!!!!!

He's the 3rd one and we cannot aford ANYONE ELSE not even the call out charge., I'm just sickened by the whole experience !

My only advice is use someone else for your oil boiler repairs.

Your current problem sounds like a thermostat without seeing the boiler.

Any problem should be straightforward to isolate on an oil boiler
they are fairly straightforward.

Does the boiler run constantly all the time or does it shut off when the outside weather becomes milder and if so is the boiler located in an outhouse or garage?

If it is out in an unheated area with a frost stat then the boiler will run untill the temperature in the unheated building warms to satisfy the frost stat... this arrangement should have a pipe 'stat fitted too to switch off the boiler when the return water pipe is aired......Just a thought

could be a number of things

you say it keeps the rads scoulding hot so this would point firstly to checking that the divertor valve is returning fully.

If this isn't it will continue to try and heat the heat store up for hot water production but will end up sending heat to the rads.

If it is the above then this could either be a failing syncron motor or the divertor valve has failed.

Does the boiler run constantly all the time or does it shut off when the outside weather becomes milder and if so is the boiler located in an outhouse or garage?

If it is out in an unheated area with a frost stat then the boiler will run untill the temperature in the unheated building warms to satisfy the frost stat... this arrangement should have a pipe 'stat fitted too to switch off the boiler when the return water pipe is aired......Just a thought

I have seen frost stats set at 9ºC. Much too higheven when a pipe stat is fitted

THanks for all the input guys.

The boiler is outside. New frost stat was put in 5/6 weeks ago and ran ok for a little while after that even with the gales and frost we had.

Going to check it all today with your recommendations and see what I find.

Sorted it myself :)

the wires for the Flow Switch had been partially pulled out from the main circut boards and had half of the wires for the actuator head plug, so it was not fliping between ch and hw !

Wonder if that was a ruse for him to come and do more ??

Anyhoo, all wires back in place. System working grand :)

Thanks again for all your help.

Donna xxx

Hi Donna,
When working on the control panel of a Camray 5 Combi 90, it is very easy for the Diverter valve plug/wires to become detached, the same with the flow switch, especilaly if the engineer is a bit "heavy handed"
HOWEVER a GOO ENGINEER would check these things before leaving site, and in the event of a RECALL would NOT want to charge for a all-out to put things right! (In the event of a recall we always go back F.O.C., if the fault is our fault it is corrected such as pushing the diverter valve plug back in!, if however further parts or work are required it is not unreasonable to expect to pay for the "Extra" work - of course you need to be able to trust your engineer - most Service companies build their reputation on trust!)

Glad it is all sorted now, but am very sorry for the bad experience you have had, (ask neighbours for a recommendation B4 using another service engineer)
Happy new Year!!!!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back