Worcester CDi30 condensing boiler - Condensate cycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler seems to take a long time to get up to temperature - typically 30 mins. I notice it starts to get hot, then seems to go to sleep for 15 mins or so. It does this at the start of each programmed period (morning and afternoon). Is this normal? I know there is a condensate cycle with these boilers, but does this happen each time the boiler starts up from cold, or only after the mains has been disconnected / reconnected.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. There must be something else causing the problem, as the power isn't being switched off. I have seen the symbol you refer to, and that definitely doesn't appear when this problem occurs. A quick query to the Worcester Technical helpline suggests there may be a software problem, so it looks like an engineers visit is required.

That said, I tested the boiler yesterday afternoon by logging the temperature of the boiler at 5 minute intervals from cold, hoping to catch when it went to sleep - no luck, it reached operating temperature (67 degrees) in 20 mins and stayed there!

You dont make it clear when your boiler is firing.

Most boilers if not set to match the heating load will often cycle from on to off on the anti cycle delay which increases the heat up time.

Now you are saying it is taking 20 minutes which sounds typical. Why do you think there is any problem?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony

The boiler is set to CH only, no HW. So it fires up when the programmer 'on' time is reached (6am and 4pm) and the room stat is calling for heat. Most of the time it behaves normally, reaching working temperature (set to about 67 degrees) within 20 mins.

The CH dial on the boiler is set to 5. On the dial there is a higher setting of 6, followed by max. There are 11 radiators of various sizes in the house, some are large doubles.

On occasions, it seems to go to sleep and it can take up to an hour for working temperature to be reached. When this occurs, the boiler temperature sticks around 25-30 degrees, even though the room stat is calling for heat.

I dont understand the next sentence -
Most boilers if not set to match the heating load will often cycle from on to off on the anti cycle delay which increases the heat up time.

Regards
Rod

This morning the boiler had another funny turn after about an hour into a 2 hour program. The room stat was still unsatisfied but the 'boiler lit' light was out and the boiler temperature had dropped to around 50. I noticed this because the rads had gone cool. Even if the lockshield valves had kicked in, there is one rad always fully open.

I dont understand why the boiler would switch off and lose temperature before the stat is satisfied. Surely it should keep working at the set temperature.

I checked the stat and it seems OK, switching the boiler on and off. But I did notice that when it is calling for heat, the 'boiler lit' light comes on almost immediatey but the boiler takes several minutes to start heating up.

Also, if you press 'advance', the boiler lit light comes on but it can take 5 mins or so for the temperature to start rising.

An update .............

I have since noticed that if the hot water is used while the CH is running it seems to cause the interruptions in the heating cycle described above (a reduction in boiler temperature and delays before heating up again). My expectation is that both would work together, and the CH would continue uninterrupted after the HW tap is switched off.

Any thoughts?

If Worcester say it is a software problem, then it probably is!!
let Worcester come and fix it! ;)

Just been reading this discussion and it sounds very similar to ours. 37cdi boiler was fitted about 18 months ago and has worked fine but just this week the following problem has started.

Boiler heats radiators fine but then for no obvious reason it goes to sleep and although temperature steadily drops to 42/43 the burner doesn't fire. Requires room thermostat to be switched back to 0 then up to 20 to get the burner to fire again. 
Also boiler temp will halt at 65 and flow and return will continue to cool to the touch and radiator temperatures will drop noticeably, but temp display stays steady at 65.

I wonder if this could be a similar software problem. I'd be really interested to learn more

Jez

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back