Worchester 24i problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Worchester 24i combi boiler. I have hot water but my central heating wont work. When I turn the heating on the boiler make some clattering noises and a small leak starts from the heating out put.

Can some please help and advise me on what the problem may be.

Sponsored Links
Are we talking about a 24i RSF from late 90s with the grey lower controls panel?
Maybe pump seized?

Sponsored Links
Turn off the power and the gas off at the meter.
Best to drop the system pressure to just above zero.
Hinge the controls panel down and cover the panel with cling film for protection.
Unscrew the large screw in the centre of the pump, it will dribble water.
With a 4mm flat bladed screwdriver check the impeller shaft is free to turn.
If so power up the boiler and run the heating and check the shaft turns.
If you place the screwdriver in the slot you can feel the torque as the pump starts and runs...a good pump should show plenty of turning force.

I have now done this and the pump impeller seems to turn fine but once I powered the boiler back up I could not feel the pump running and the boiler made the same noises then the ignition shut off.

I mentioned turning the gas off...if you continue to let the boiler fire up with no circulation in the heating circuit you run the risk of the overheat thermostat tripping and you will give yourself another problem (apart from stressing the heat exchanger).

If you're competent you could measure the voltage at the pump terminals to confirm...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back