Work On Gas But Not CORGI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our tutor in college says you can work on gas if you are not CORGI registered, but you can't accept payment for it, and if necessary just have to prove your competence in court?

He doesn't and neither do I encourage working on gas without being registered, but I'm just asking, has my tutor got it wrong or is this correct?

I'm just asking about it not telling anyone that this is true, so please don't start having a go at me.

--------------------------------------------------
DO NOT DIY YOUR OWN GASWORK
--------------------------------------------------

Sponsored Links
Our tutor in college says you can work on gas if you are not CORGI registered, but you can't accept payment for it, and if necessary just have to prove your competence in court?

He doesn't and neither do I encourage working on gas without being registered, but I'm just asking, has my tutor got it wrong or is this correct?

Deleted

Sponsored Links

One might wonder how BigBurner thinks that someone is likely to become competent without having been trained.

The test of competence would usually be by assessment ! Currently ACS for gas.

Tony

This is how i interpretate the law and regulation.

Any business involved in working on gas MUST be corgi registered. (which is where your tutor get's the money exchange point from)

Anyone working on gas must be deemed competent. Proving yourself as competent does not have to be through an accredited scheme (ACS for example) so it is more the fact of being proven as incompetent as far as prosecution is concerned.
This would unfortunately only come to light (and court) after an accident/incident has already occurred resulting in death, injury, unsafe situation or property damage.

Being CORGI registered myself i would love to see these rules change, not for my own benefit but as I (and many other gas fitters) will have seen DIY/incompetent installations in the flesh due to lack of understanding for the basic principles of burning fossil fuels.

unfortunately such regulation would be almost impossible to enforce and more than likely in breach of one's human rights :rolleyes:

Sam

As i understand it to work on gas requires you to be competent, even if working on your own property.
To be competent you must undergo assesment and receive said qualifications.
You could then work on your own property without being corgi but would probably req building control to check your work.

Am i wrong or right?

but no one cares anyway. if they are gonna tamper they'll tamper legal or not.

If you want to sleep safe at night, just offer to do all the neighbors gas work for free :LOL:

It's got nothing to do with payment.
If you do work for your neighbour, he's employing you to do the work. Therefore it's illegal if you aren't Corgi registered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back