Worried about ensuite shower leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently tiled my ensuite in our newly built house. The three walls of the ensuite shower are boast walls that are plastered. However, I didn't seal these walls before tiling! I just put the tiles straight onto the walls. The tile adhesive and grout are water resistant and I also made sure I sealed all corners and edges with silicone sealant after the grouting had been done.

Do you think I should be worried about leakages? The tiles are very large though (about 12"x20") so I'm thinking less grout lines means less chance of leakage?

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
You should be ok. I reckon that most issues with leaking shower enclosures are due to floor movement i.e. timber. The movement in the tray and floor is greater than the silicone can handle and pulls away from the tile..... or, if you've fitted the tiled badly, the bottom tile gets pulled down and water get's behind the tile from the top of the now loose one. I'm assuming that your floor is solid what with you using blocks and all. You've got everything going for you - large tiles, solid floor, siliconed corners. Rest easy.
Of course, if you're on floorboards you're fecked! :LOL:
Only teasing. ;)

gcol that isn't funny! I have had a bad experience with en-suite shower leaking through floorboards and kitchen ceiling! The first time we had completely new shower tray (stone resin) and enclosure installed, but the guys who fitted it (through insurance company) made a complete bodge up of it, didn't seal the tray properly and it leaked again. I have just had a week's holiday from work to sort out the frigging mess (plus one or two other jobs)! Decided to give the shower room a re-decorate while I was at it, which has involved removing old grout and sealant, re-grouting and re-sealing everything. I have taken my time, building up the sealant in layers, pushing right in to gaps with my fingers to make sure of a good seal. I also want to make sure it is properly dry before using the power shower. I just hope I have done a good enough job, but it can't be any worse than the cowboys that came and did it last time! :cry:

Lads

Can I offer my opinion.

The amount of silicone you stuff into the joint does not make the seal any better. Shower seals over movement joints must be flexible (joist/stud wall shrinkage, weight settlement in acrylic baths).

Silicones that cannot stretch will split, tear or de-bond over a movement joint. Exposed silicones have other disadvantages over time such as durability, hygiene and aesthetics.

Sponsored Links
Am'I missing something here, shouldn't the shower be tanked?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back