Worscester Bosh 230 - Resetting problem+new boiler rec.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had our boiler for about 11-12 years and it's been great.

Just recently the boiling keeps shutting off the hot water (half way through running a bath, heating might not come on, etc)

To kick it back into action we have to press the reset button and the pilot light gets going again.

I'm assuming that the boiler may well be on the way out and if anyone had a replacement recommendation to the 230 or if it sounds like something that might be able to be fixed, although I do understand the boiler is knocking on now.

Sponsored Links
At this age I would recommend replacement rather than cure.

The alternative will always be a repair but on a boiler of this age repairs will become more frequent, and the investment/reward ratio becomes untenable.

There are those on this site who would advocate repair - however, if you are not a heating engineer the prospect of engaging a repair is a fraught process. Not to mention a gamble on how long the next fault will take to appear.

If you are in the industry repairing your own aged boiler is just a few hours lost in front of the telly, racing whippets etc. We have nothing to lose in real terms.

If you find a quality installer you could end up with a 5yr warranty on a new boiler. If you can afford it, that would be my recommendation.

If the boiler locks out due to overheating caused by corrosion and limescale, you would need that removed anyway before replacing the boiler. To replace with a boiler of like quality, you are looking at a considerable amount of money. It is well possible that your current machine has another five years left in it, might be worth finding out what the problems is before replacing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back