Writing a Request for Information?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right section or not, but I was just wondering if anyone could offer me any help or advice with one of my assignment tasks?

I've got to write a RFI for the following scenario:

You have recived the copies of the outline proposals showing a suggested wall construction around the external steel stanchions.

Devise and write suitable instructions and request information:

1. Request for Information from the Architect to the design team
2. Instructions for Costings if the works for the Quantity Surveyor of the contractor.

The written instructions should include requests for information on:

type of blocks and bricks
size of blocks and bricks
type of mortar to be used
type of mortor joint
compressive strength of the blocks and bricks
type of wall ties
U values of materials
damp course details
square metre cost.

I'm not to sure how to lay this out and how to word it, and I can't seem to find an example on the internet, so was just wondering if anyone could help, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. Request for Information from the Architect to the design team

Just make a form with standard letterhead or heading with typical details at the top - project name, address, project description, date, names etc

Then either use a layout similar to SMM7, or just group into headings with your question under each heading or lump them togther if the same question applies to several

You are probably trying to establish the use of the building, the quality required (materials and finish) and and any specific design criteria - such as a particular effect or is it to withstand certain use

2. Instructions for Costings if the works for the Quantity Surveyor of the contractor.

That sentence does not seem to make any sense

But if the "if" should be an "of", then you need to decide how this is to be priced. Either an all in rate per m2 (blocks, bricks, ties insulation, DPC etc) of if there is to be different rates for brickwork, blockwork, pointing, putting in ties etc

Use common sense - some things will be m2, others may be linear m run

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back