wylex 45a breaker

Sponsored Links
Now you can ask about the balance between the number of RCDs, MCBs and RCBOs. ;)

Sponsored Links
How much do you want to spend?

RCBOs on each circuit are better than shared RCDs but (4x) more expensive. The CU is better with a few extra slots to leave space for all the extra RCBO wires. It is possible to get 5 RCBOs into a 5-slot CU but it makes testing difficult.

However, for the shower circuit, the OSG doesn't list circuit breakers or RCBOs as an option for 45A. As mfarrow pointed out, you might need to allow for separate RCD and cartridge fuse.

Don't have a big budget, not me spending.
I don't understand all your sparky lingo to be honest.
Can you do this in laymens terms?
I agree I need a new consumer unit but can you recommend one that will suffice/support a breaker that will supply this 9.5kw shower.
Just checked in a neighbouring property and they have a 50A breaker for their electric shower (9.5Kw).

Split consumer unit with 2 RCDs. If there are 2 light circuits put them on different RCDs. Likewise for sockets. Get a 45A cartridge fuse for shower, type C MCBs for lights and type B for everything else ???

Cheers ajrobb.
Understand all of that.
Can I put a cartridge fuse in a new consumer unit that carries breakers?

Why would you want to?
Just get the correct size breaker. TBH, it would be safer for you to employ an electrician to replace the consumer unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back