Wylex fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved into a new house and have a Wylex fuse box.

I can't figure out how I can isolate the particular cartridge type fuses as they do not seem to pull out as easily as expected despite increasing amounts of force applied.

There appears to be a small screw fixing alongside each fuse - does this require undoing to release the fuse ?

There also appears to be a screw through the middle of each cartridge, though the way the cartridges have been fitted make the screw head inaccessible except for the first cartridge in the row.

Any advice / experience to share please ?

Sponsored Links
the carrier should just pull out, the screw next to them (underneath them for rewirables) holds down the base (which you need to remove if you want to change the rating or connect/disconnect wiring). The screw through the middle of them releases the fuse from the carrier (you are supposed to pull them out before removing it).

If they are difficult or impossible to pull out i'd take that as a sign that the fusebox is on its last legs and should really be replaced.

can you post a pic so we can identify the type you have?

It it brown or cream?

Is it in a damp, smoky or dusty environmnet?

Sponsored Links
Don't have a pic at the moment

Fuse box is cream in colour

Is situated in an enclosed storage underneath staircase - appears to be dry

does it look like this?

606.jpg

Sometimes if they have not been removed for a decade or three, they can be VERY stiff...

Switch off and give a good yank, rocking the fuses up & down as you pull.

I'm just a bit worried about the screws mentioned in the OP. The only screws on a wylex board would be the cover screws, and the screws which hold the fuse backing plates in place :?:

I think the first screw he mentions is the one securing the fuse shield, the second is the one holding the BS1361 carriers together.

Peter K,

If your fuseboard is dodgy, turn off the main switch before you start yanking fuses in and out, If a fuse carrier breaks you'll be left with 240 volts in your hand.

BTW, I got a wee belt from one of these yesterday, went to pull out a 5A lighting fuse to do a liilte work, the last person to replace the fusewire had kindly left half an inch hanging out of the top, Just where my fingers went to pull the fuse out.
:mad:

Taylortwocities said:
the last person to replace the fusewire had kindly left half an inch hanging out of the top, Just where my fingers went to pull the fuse out.
:mad:

This is suprisingly more common than you might expect. I only pull live fuses with my insulated grips these days.

Some people are beyond help :rolleyes:

fuse.jpg

re the fuse carrier......
:eek:
:confused:
:LOL: i can almost see "DANGER" in the background-really?

BTW how do you post pics? it is a great job and speaks a thousand words....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back