Wylex NN board, can rcbo's be fitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
incidentally, the reason I ask is because customer wants a light switch moving from one side of door t'other and currently no RCD protection on lights.

I seem to recall something from the IET (?) maybe recently that they were thinking of changing the 'rules' for minor alterations like this where the risk from lack of RCD protection on the new part is minimal (since the majority of the lights DON'T have RCD protection!). Anyone recall this?

I suppose though that my fall back is to fit an RCD FCU for the lighting circuit in question.

SB

I don't think you can get RCBOs for the old Wylex NN boards.
I believe that what you say might be in the ammendment 1 for the 17th edn regs when it comes out.

I would use your engineering judgement and say that in anticipation of proposed amendments you will not RCD the lighting circuit for the sake of one small drop of cable to a repositoned switch !

Sponsored Links
thanks for reply Spark 123

Perhaps I'll try and put off doing the job for a bit then.... :p

ooooh ricicle.... I'm a bit nervous about that, won't the hand of GOD (sorry, the NIC assessor) come down the strike me dead???

SB ;)

They don't fit (at least the current NSB or PSB ones don't) could try asking in CEF, IIRC the proteus (their own brand) boards they sold a while back were interchangeable with the wylex NB (their current ones, though, like the current wylex are different from the old ranges), theres a slim chance they might have ones that might fit

I have a feeling there was an RCBo made for these units which was a double module type, I also seem to remember that these were not actually made by Wylex, have a feeling the NN stuff was made by a scandinavian manufacturer and re-branded Wylex, seem to remember the metalclad boards bearing another logo alongside the Wylex one, SK?

I agree with ricicle to use a bit of judgement on these things is a good idea, just don't put it down as a place NICEIC man can visit to check!! <i'm standing by for a barrage of regulations!!>

ooooh ricicle.... I'm a bit nervous about that, won't the hand of GOD (sorry, the NIC assessor) come down the strike me dead???

SB ;)

In my opinion he can't 'mark you down' for a deviation (which you will note on the MWC) that leaves the installation no less safe than it was before ?

I've done the same for adding a class two extractor fan into a bathroom, just noted as a deviation, though I did take the time to extend the sup bonding to the lighting circuit which it never did before.

In my mind what I did complied fully with the 16th and while it didn't meet 17th's requirements for RCD protection, it was a class 2 device anyway, so I can't see that there is any difference in safety

All a bit accedemic anyway, as my recommendation to change the DB as no RCD protection to socket outlets was carried out

Right, bit of investigation, not scandinavian but German, they were made by Stotz Kontakt of Heidelberg, now ABB-Stotz

OK Ricicle heres one for you, customers house built c1978, install in good condition, crabtree C50 board flushed in on stairwell so very awkward to add an RCD, they want one socket spurred off in a bedroom so as to have sockets either side of bed. I could use an RCD spur that would protect the new socket only or arrange it so both sockets in the room are protected or deviate and just do the spur and mark it down as a departure?

Unless you could be absolutely sure that the socket was not for general use then you could avoid RCD protection but that would be highly unlikely in a domestic situation other than an appliance socket (freezer).
As a minimum, not wanting to take the risk with it's use for portable equipment, I would fit an RCD socket. (Ignoring the requirements for buried cables ?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back