Xsara Picasso 'Engine Fault' indicator - 1.6 petrol 55 plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Just been rescued by AA after my car started misfiring and would barely move at max revs. AA chaps computer gave 'spurious error' code apparently but he fitted a new coil pack (£92) and the misfiring has stopped and in fact the car feels more responsive that it has in ages.

Only problem is - it's still showing an error code - the engine light is orange and the display flashes 'Engine Fault'. It still drives great, and AA man tried to reset it but it's now showing an error stating 'Cam Shaft error'. He's told me it's driveable (and it is, just tested in Blackpool to Kirkham on the M55 - no probs) but to take it to local garage asap.

Am going to contact garage tomorrow but want to brace myself - what on earth could a cam shaft error be and what damage to my bank account? AA man said it might just be the sensor....think he might have been trying to make me feel better lol...

Cheers!!

Sponsored Links
I would not worry unduly, a cam shaft sensor if required is probably in the region of £30 a easy diy job.
Probably it just needs the fault codes resetting, with this you will be at the mercy of the dealer, unless your garage has the necessary equipment. :cry:

Wotan

Thanks for the steer.

I'll bell both the garage and dealer tomorrow and see what they quote. Will keep you posted, but really hoping it's just a sensor (at worst, as am already £92 down).

Thing is though, if the computer said cam shaft error, and the car is driving fine (better than it has in a good while - probably as the coil pack was on it's way out), would this cam shaft error not be causing noticeable issues?

Possibly with the coil pack breaking down, misfiring..the ecu would see a series of faults, the lambada sensor would pick up on the rich mixture, and the ecu would try to correct the injection timing, it would get confused and just registar a fault.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Sincere apologies to labour the point - and many thanks for your advice - but say for example that was the position - would it 'just' be a case of electronically amending the timing? Expensive task?

Sincere apologies to labour the point - and many thanks for your advice - but say for example that was the position - would it 'just' be a case of electronically amending the timing? Expensive task?
All the camshaft sensor is, it's just a hall effect transistor, it picks up on the relative position of the camshaft, by responding to a 'lobe' on the camshaft, these can go duff, or work intermittently.
The ecu memory must be ok, otherwise the car would not run as good as it doing, I doubt if the ecu needs re -programming, it just needs the fault log clearing out.

Right then - turns out the coil pack AA man fitted wasn't an official Citroen part (not that I'd expect it to be in fairness to the AA).

I've had it swapped at a garage for an offical part - and engine management light sorted = gone. Happy days!

And AA man picking up his part and arranging refund for their side of things.

Cheers for the guidance etc - really appreciated.

So glad it all got sorted out in the end, and thanks for letting us know the outcome, not everyone bothers.

Wotan

Can anyone help me?
I am looking to find out on where the position sensor is located on my Xsara Picasso 1,8 - 16v? :eek: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back