Yale 3 star barrel lock is pants!

While most keyholes are vertical, some well-established manufacturers (e.g. Cisa and Mul-T-Lock) have long used horizontal keyholes in many of their products.

Yale and Avocet’s anti-snap cylinders are OK quality and secure, but there are significantly higher-quality alternatives (e.g. Kaba pExtra Guard, Evva EPS 3-star, or the new MTL 300 Break Secure 3XP). Albeit, they are premium-priced. The pExtra Guard and EPS 3-star have regular keyholes.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Avocet looks awesome. Saw first few min of the video as well.

Yale, just had another look. The tip is not completely flat - but the problem still remains.
There are groves into which you need to fit the key in. The grooves need to be *exactly* aligned.

From the little I can see of the Avocet, I think I'm correct in saying that it doesn't have the teeth grooves starting right at the front of the key.
So... doesn't suffer from the same problem. (Just guessing.)

See pic below:

rpzKozO.jpg

I'm sure I'm the single mad person complaining about it though as said before. No one else has a problem!
That is the same sort of tip on my key. They do become easier with the passage of time. Whether it's the end or the lock developing a 'slight' wear to take the sharpness off, or if it's the person getting acquainted with how to use it, I don't know. But you will get used to it.

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
A lot (all?) of the locks which take keys that have dimples in the flat sides have horizontal key slots. It is because the pins in the lock are sprung loaded from the bottom of the lock to engage with the dimples in the side of the key rather than engaging with the serrations in the edge of a normal key.

Sponsored Links
Guys... I've had enough.
I'm returning the Yale lock.

Just wondering what I should get instead.
The only alternative I see is a 1 star Yale?
There's plenty cheap ones, but for a small amount more, I can go for a Yale?

Happy to spend more if highly recommended - but definitely don't want a horizontal lock.

On what ground can you return it.
I sent an email on the 2nd day.
After 2 email exchanges, they told me to send it back.

As I've said throughout... it's a really poor product IMHO. Badly designed.
There's a reason why normal keys have a tip - so it gets guided in.

3 star?
On Amazon I see UAP and Sterling
Sterling, we had: I returned. They key was stiff and not smooth like the existing Yale.
UAP, can't find 35/45.
A friend told me that's an old measure, the new doors have different.

So not sure what to get.

ALSO... what size do I need? The existing is 40/50 - I found out from this forum that this was the wrong size.
The one I got from Yale was a 35/45. I was wondering if I could get a different size?
See pic below of the existing (wrong size) lock:

4HRLNZh.png

If you look at the dirt marks, it looks like it's 70mm.
30mm to the middle from one size and 40mm to the other.
So 35/45 is the correct one?

Could I get away with a 80mm 35-10-35 (40/40)?
UAP on Amazon don't have 35/45.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If it’s 70mm overall, it should be 30/40 surely? I don’t think it matters (security wise) if you have a bit protruding on the inside of your door but you don’t want it on the outside where somebody can get a grip on it and twist the lock unless the outside is an anti snap section. Outside should be as flush as possible.

It looks like a 30/45 size, but I might be mistaken. “Measure twice, buy once” is a good maxim. Can you measure each side from the cylinder’s dead centre (i.e. from the hole’s centre to the dirt mark line)?

Sterling lock cylinders can be poor quality (although their padlocks are decent). UAP lock cylinders aren’t the best but OK. Both are Chinese-manufactured.

Budget permitting, I’d buy either a Kaba pExtra Guard or an Evva EPS 3-star. Both are high-quality (reliable and unlikely to jam), secure and have regular vertical keyholes. Evva makes all its products in Austria, and Kaba is Swiss-engineered. Several online stores sell the EPS 3-star; CIA sells the pExtra Guard and is reputable.

However, 35mm is the minimum external-side size for many anti-snap cylinders. If you need a 30mm size for the external side, I recommend the Avocet ATK. Avocet isn’t in the same quality league as Kaba or Evva, but the ATK is cheaper and also has a vertical keyhole.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: OM2
i bought a UAP from Amazon
I'll impressed
Seems good quality
I went to fit last night
It's got a damn lip! It wont go in!
Grrr
See pic
wFI6GeH.jpg

I called them
They said its an old model
I've never ever seen like this

Their newer model is OK
BUT... has a horizontal key
It doesn't look as bad as the Yale
The key is flat, but what i can see in pics is the there aren't teeth forcing you to precisely insert the key
I'll be sending back

i bought a UAP from Amazon
I'll impressed
Seems good quality
I went to fit last night
It's got a damn lip! It wont go in!
Grrr
See pic
wFI6GeH.jpg

I called them
They said its an old model
I've never ever seen like this

Their newer model is OK
BUT... has a horizontal key
It doesn't look as bad as the Yale
The key is flat, but what i can see in pics is the there aren't teeth forcing you to precisely insert the key
I'll be sending back
Will it not fit in from the opposite side you tried it in?
i.e. If you tried to insert from the exterior side and it didn't go in, try from the interior side?
The hole through the actual mortice lock section is a standard size to accommodate these barrels so the lipped side would sit in the door material, not in the middle of the lock body.

N
Will it not fit in from the opposite side you tried it in?
i.e. If you tried to insert from the exterior side and it didn't go in, try from the interior side?
The hole through the actual mortice lock section is a standard size to accommodate these barrels so the lipped side would sit in the door material, not in the middle of the lock body.
no. it won't go in the other way. it's crazy. i can't imagine where one side whole is bigger.
i feel like getting a grinder and grinding it off. it's a decent lock (unqualified opinion of course).

now... i'm think a 1 star yale is my only choice?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back