Yale 3 star barrel lock is pants!

now... i'm think a 1 star yale is my only choice?
My mum has a one-star Yale lock. The key is longer than my three star Yale lock…..but it’s still a horizontal keyhole. What have you got against horizontal keyholes?

Sponsored Links
Looking around at the better quality locks available there certainly seems to be a trend towards horizontal keyways. We have Ultion locks and they are good, the keys seemed a bit stiff at the start but have loosened up a bit over time. There was a knack to getting the key in correctly when we first had them but it becomes an automatic action after a while and I no longer even think about it.

Asec do a 3 star lock with a vertical keyway that seems popular with locksmiths.

Should have persisted with the original Yale 3 star.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
EVVA also make good 3 star locks that have a conventional shape key. Very happy with mine.
If they were football clubs, UAP would be in League One, Yale and Ultion in the EFL Championship, and Evva in the Premier League.

i'm think a 1 star yale is my only choice?

Options for 3-star euro cylinders with a standard keyhole include (from highest to lowest price):
1. The Evva EPS 3-star euro cylinder is about £78 on Locktrader; it's not cheap but much cheaper than Amazon, and Evva euro cylinders are worth the money (high build quality so they don't jam, secure, and last for years).
2. The Kaba pExtra Guard mentioned above. It's another Premier League euro cylinder, yet it costs just £5 more than the Yale discussed above.
3. The Avocet ATK costs about £44. Unlike the Avocet ABS, the ATK has a standard keyhole. Avocet is EFL Championship level, IMO.

@Mottie nothing against horizontal locks.
But... I have hatred for the Yale horizontal locks
It's designed so that you HAVE to insert the key EXACTLY into the hole.

The traditional lock has in inverted dimple. This has the effect that you roughly place the key in the location and push forward and it gets guided in.

I've now seen horizontal locks that also have the same inverted dimple.
(I've also seen other horizontal locks that have the same poor design that the Yale does.)

Love the football analogy.
I thought Yale as the King? The absolute best? Apparently not!

EDIT one small problem... I wanted all silver type colour. The avocet looks ideal but has a bronze front! Grr! I might just go for that though if I can't find anything else. Don't want to pay £80+ for a lock.

@OM2 I recommend you get the Avocet ATK.

It's designed so that you HAVE to insert the key EXACTLY into the hole.

It adds security. Some Yale, Kaba and Cisa euro cylinders have keyholes that make it harder to use lock picks or bypass tools.

Last edited:
guys, is federal any good?
they have a 3 star I was considering buying.

Federal is OK, and Avocet outsources its manufacturing to Federal in Taiwan.

If you can cope with a horizontal keyhole, the Mul-T-Lock 3DS would get my money at this price point. Despite being horizontal, it’s easy to insert the key, thanks to the good-sized hole. I find Mul-T-Lock keys easier to insert than traditional keys.

The same company owns Yale and Mul-T-Lock. If they were VAG Group cars, Yale would be VW, and Mul-T-Lock would be Audi.

Federal is OK, and Avocet outsources its manufacturing to Federal in Taiwan.

If you can cope with a horizontal keyhole, the Mul-T-Lock 3DS would get my money at this price point. Despite being horizontal, it’s easy to insert the key, thanks to the good-sized hole. I find Mul-T-Lock keys easier to insert than traditional keys.

The same company owns Yale and Mul-T-Lock. If they were VAG Group cars, Yale would be VW, and Mul-T-Lock would be Audi.
I had a look. No way! It's the same key hole as the Yale. You HAVE to insert the key in EXACTLY.
I'm sure I'm the mad one here. No one else has ever commented about me having a point about my gripe. LOL.

Federal comes with a 10 year warranty... so that's an enticing reason to buy?

But... if I can ask you guys an opinion... having a 3 star lock doesn't really matter...?
We have a double glaze door with glass at the top and bottom. And then 2 glass panels on the side. No need to fiddle with the lock - just remove the glass panel?? A neighbour a few doors down a few years ago had their car stolen when thieves removed the double glazing window on the side. (Anything happening on our street is very very rare.)
So... should I even bother with getting a 3 star lock!? LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back