yale hsa6400 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, just installed the yale 6400 alarm, and come to do the setup (quick)!! followed instructions to where you put your first code in,press the tick and nothing happens then 2 symbols appear next to the asterix in the shape of an A with a little cross above them, after a bit it makes a sound, then an orange warning light comes on and everything is locked.
tried to reset the whole panel to factory settings but that dont work either.
at a tottal loss here, anyone help? :evil:

Sponsored Links
Phone their helpline-number is in the manual.

Refering to the OPs problem.

This alarm isn't broken but the real problem is this..

Quite frequently people will buy a Yale alarm and on getting home have a go at fitting it and give up.
They will take the alarm back to the store and get a refund.
The store will then put the alarm back on the shelf.

Unfortunately by then the first user has already changed the default pin code and any attempts to programme the control panel will result in being locked out.

When you purchase a Yale ALWAYS ALWAYS ensure the red security seals on the box are intact!

If they aren't don't buy it you will only be bringing it back.

Be warned some stores selotape them back over so check really well.

I went to a national store in Manchester once and every alarm on the shelved had been opened.
It was obvious with some , having pirs upside down or scruffy cables but some looked like new. Still not worth the risk of a frustrating wasted journey and wasted time.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I too have installed the yale 6400 at home. I ran through a walk test of all the devices and everything seemed fine. I fixed them all in place but after doing some primed alarm testing, the front door contact does not seem to activate upon entry until I close the door and the magnet passes back under the sensor. The entry timer then starts.

I have tried entry in another door and this is fine. I dont think it is the distance between the sensor and the magnet because in walktest it is fine.

Any ideas anyone.

Hi, I too have installed the yale 6400 at home. I ran through a walk test of all the devices and everything seemed fine. I fixed them all in place but after doing some primed alarm testing, the front door contact does not seem to activate upon entry until I close the door and the magnet passes back under the sensor. The entry timer then starts.

I have tried entry in another door and this is fine. I dont think it is the distance between the sensor and the magnet because in walktest it is fine.

Any ideas anyone.

I would make sure the magnet is poitioned centrally and no more than 8mm from the sensor. Your problem sounds strange. ie it doesn't pick up when the magnet moves away (ie when it should do) but instead activates when the magnet passes back under the sensor...??
Ah I think I have twigged it. You say 'back under'. The sensors must be in line with each other. This is what keeps the sensor closed. Its not the magnet passing backwards and forwards under the sensor that activates it but a magnetic field either being continually applied or not.
The sensor and the magnet need to be in the same plane.
This should solve your problem.
If not let me know.
See diagram below..
sensorplacements.gif

Hi fastalarm,

I got the problem sorted. My PVC door has a bevelled edge and it made it tricky getting the magnets not more then 8mm apart and on the same plain. I had a rethink, added some padding behiend the sensor and it now works fine.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

I can now go on holiday with peace of mind!

Hi fastalarm,

I got the problem sorted. My PVC door has a bevelled edge and it made it tricky getting the magnets not more then 8mm apart and on the same plain. I had a rethink, added some padding behiend the sensor and it now works fine.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

I can now go on holiday with peace of mind!

No probs,
Slightly unlucky though I have only ever had to pack a sensor out once before. I used some 22mm white plastic trunking cut to size and screwed in place.

Talk about spooky.
I installed an alarm at a house today where some old dear had been burgled.
The porch door was fine but the inner door frame was bevelled but the bevel was only small leading to exactly the problem you mentioned.
The bevel wasn't big enough to mount the sensor as the tamper spring would have been floating in mid air.
Fortunately I didn't have to mount a sensor on that door but if I had to be honest the best solution would have been to pack the magnet to the level of the sensor on the frame but as the bevel made it difficult to get the magnet and sensor near to each other.
The other solution would have been to make a cut out in the bevelled frame just big enough to allow the magnet to be closer to the sensor. The magnet would still have needed packing up though.

Your comment is noted , However I am only replying to specific details asked for by Sibbo when having difficulties setting up a 6400 system which revolved around the placement of sensors so I am unsure where I have gone off topic or wether your comment was aimed at me.

Guys, I have been reading all your posts on here re Yale alarms.....I met one guy who installed the Yale and a "powermax".....he advised me for general purpose security the Yale was a much better all round unit....

The 6400 is a superbly user friendly system and I received a DVD which was indeed a major benefit however I did get stuck on learning the siren into the control and got very frustrated to find that the Yale tech line was merely an answerphone service..

The phone dialler feature is A1 ...easy to set up but you must familiarise yourself with features in order to fully utilise.....The walk test feature allows the user to fully test all sensors and sure enough everything worked first time....

all in all in took me 6-7hrs to fit but the end result made it worthwhile.........Next I'm onto CCTV...Anybody make any recommendations...

What a great forum!
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick one...I bought a keyfob this morning to use on my HSA6400.....

I think its faulty as I cannot disarm my alarm using fob...It arms ok but I think somthing is wrong....Can anyone help? save getting in my car and going back to homebase?

Cheers
Matt

Well you have finally fallen into my clutches . . ie someone with hundreds of Yale installs under his belt and therefore possibly the most experienced person in the country.

The keyfob will arm the alarm but only disarm the alarm in specific circumstances.

You have to activate your entry exit device so the panel is ticking down.

This is a security measure so that if someone gets your fob or you drop it in the drive it can't be used to simply unset the alarm...

It does mean however that you can't simply use the fob to disarm the system before you come downstairs. You would need a remote keypad to do this.

Hey I'm just glad you have saved me a 25mile round trip - no worries :)

OK so there is no problem with my fob....I guess I understand the reasons why you should need to initiate entry delay before using fob..

Just a shame really as I wanted to switch alarm and then open electric door on garage...

Mr Yale, many thx for your help on this one!

You could disarm using your mobile phone..

Quite simple...

call your land line -
soon as it rings hang up.
Count 5 seconds and ring again.

This time you will hear a beep.

Enter your alarm code on your phone keypad

A further beep confirms you are in control of your alarm

press key 3 to disarm.

it sounds complex but its quite easy after a little practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back