Yellow Gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please tell me why the gloss paint turns yellow in a short space of time? I use the Dulux gloss and i always sand down before i paint the woodwork. I am getting so fed up someone help?

Sponsored Links
If as you say it's in a short space of time, then you or someone you love, smokes heavily or your palace is suffering from a lack of light.
Lack of light is a main cause for yellowing so......throw those curtains wide. ;)

I didn't know that. Nobody smokes in our house so that must be the cause. Is there anything else i could do to try and stop it happening and also do you think that Dulux is the best gloss to buy>

Sponsored Links
yep light deprivation will turn brilliant white gloss into a shade of magnolia in a couple of weeks.
An example.. I had to go back 2 weeks later to a room where I had painted the trims/ frames brilliant white. They had a new door fitted and wanted it painting. The door after I had finished was brilliant white, the 2 week old paintwork was quite yellowish. I had to drape a sheet over the door to starve the light. it only took 2 days for the door to yello down to the 2 week old paint..
The fact they had the door fitted after I had decorated I have not sussed out just yet... :confused:
Mostly happens with solvent based paints, all brands.. consider water based products= yuk..... or when glossing try a colour something like old 'english white'?..

John D yes we do occasionally light candles but not enough to discolour paint. I do think that it is because of lack of light because the room which goes yellow the quickest is my bathroom which doesn't get much sunlight. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

yep light deprivation will turn brilliant white gloss into a shade of magnolia in a couple of weeks.
An example.. I had to go back 2 weeks later to a room where I had painted the trims/ frames brilliant white. They had a new door fitted and wanted it painting. The door after I had finished was brilliant white, the 2 week old paintwork was quite yellowish. I had to drape a sheet over the door to starve the light. it only took 2 days for the door to yello down to the 2 week old paint..
The fact they had the door fitted after I had decorated I have not sussed out just yet... :confused:
Mostly happens with solvent based paints, all brands.. consider water based products= yuk..... or when glossing try a colour something like old 'english white'?..
More than i can remember, i am now suffering this issue on gloss paint i only did last year.

Is this a symptom of modern paints and how can one avoid it for future decoration?

We were told when buying our new build that one manufacturer (Crown I think) removed a chemical and this caused yellowing of the gloss.

More than i can remember, i am now suffering this issue on gloss paint i only did last year.

Is this a symptom of modern paints and how can one avoid it for future decoration?

In 2010 the VOC compliance regulations were enacted..

Paint manufacturers had to reduce the amount of solvents in their paints. The initial response was to increase the amount of solids. The early VOC compliant paints, in dark rooms yellowed within weeks. They have since improved. Even pre 2010, all oil based paints would yellow in an absence of UV light.

If you want paints that will not yellow because of insufficient light, you need to consider waterbased paints. Unfortunately, they are far less durable than oil based paints. Oils such as the oil on your skin will soften them.

2 pack paints are far more durable than either oil or water based and will not yellow but you will often need a sprayer and in the case of the 2K paints, you may need to wear a respirator.

IMO, oil paints these days are as less likely to yellow as they did prior to 2010. That said, they still don't flow as well as they used to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back