Yelow water in CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The water in my sealed CH system is coming out of the radiators yellow, a nice pi$$ colour!

I know it's not the inhibitor as I drained the system a couple of weeks ago when I took the PRV off to clean it and then filled it after obviously with fresh water.

The PRV clean didn't stop it dripping so I've bought a new one, before I fit the new PRV should I run some Sentinel X300 or X400 or Fernox F3 through the system for a few days?

Cheers

K

Sponsored Links
what inhibitor did you add when you refilled it?

If the answer is "none" then of course you are seeing the results of rust and corrosion in the system.

A week or so without inhibitor will not do much damage. Drain it out and refill with inhibitor soon though.

If the system has been running for years with no inhibitor, you could use one of the chemical sediment cleaners.

Vent the rads when hot (and pump not running) to remove all possible air or gas.

Sponsored Links
As the system had been leaking (through the PRV) and I'd been filling it up everytime to be honest it could well have been six months without any inhibitor as it all would have leaked out and then watered down in strength when I'd filled it up with fresh water each time.

Which one? X300 X400 or F3?

Cheers John

I normally use x400 which you can leave in for weeks if you want as it is not at all aggressive, but the pros prefer the faster ones like X800.

If you use X400 you can put it in today and leave it (up to 4 weeks) until you get round to changing the PRV and refilling with X100.

X300 is for new systems, not old corroded ones.

If you are in a hard water area then (on final fill) you can add X200 which removes limescale but is not flushed out.

http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/product/listing/central-heating/liquids/

They were out of stock of X400 so I got X800. How long should I leave it in the system, 1 day?
Can't really see anywhere on the Sentinal website that specifies how long

don't know, the website just says "until clean". Try phoning Sentinel. When powerflushed it is usually in and out in a single day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back