Yet another fireplace opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Today I decided to take off the plaster and that's what I found out...

If I'm correct there are two pillars on both sides or more like what's left of them. The width is about right for the new fireplace but the lintel seems to be supported mostly on the bricks I'm planing to remove than on anything else.

What I'm planing to do is remove the brickwork and the lintel underneath first. When that's done, build the new pillars on each side and then put back the lintel.

Would you recommend propping it up? let's say above the current lintel before starting work? The width between the current "pillars" is about 16''.

Any ideas for dealing with the situation will be really appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What are we looking at - a chimney breast or a fire opening in a wall?

Give some context to fresh pics and could you correct the "exposure" or whatever it is causing that weird yellowish tint?

What are you trying to do - create an open fire or install a stove etc? Do you have dimensions of width and height for your proposal?

Typically, if you knock off plaster above the vent opening for another 300mm to 400mm you should reveal a brick arch.

Thanks for your reply Ree.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures, this time it should look better

-We are looking at the chimney breast

- I've attached new pics so you should be able to see some context to what's what.

- I attached pictures of what I'm planing to put it as well, when I measured it at the back(the part which actually goes inside the opening) it's about 16'' wide and 25'' high

So you're saying that despite of concrete lintel seen on the picures, above there should be another structural support in the form of an arch?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The pics are still poor.

I now understand what you are doing.

Remove all the plaster out towards the corners - stay back from the outside corners by, say 60mm. And up to come in-line with the exposed "lintel". Post pics when this is done.

What material is the "lintel" that can be seen in-place?

Yes, there will probably be a brick arch higher up, but dont go there yet.

What i'm concerned about is that almost all the c/breast brickwork to be seen in the pics is random and loose looking - excepting the bricked up opening around the vent.

You might have to carefully build up new sound brickwork on either side of the fire opening (aka a builders opening).
The flue will have to be swept & smoke tested, & the stack terminal examined.

Read some of my back posts on this subject.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back