You can still buy lead solder!?

Sponsored Links
People other than myself will have to judge whether any of that applies to me (in my case 50-60 years later) :)
Water hardness is an intrinsically related factor. Hard water = scale in the pipes = less lead in the water. Soft water = no scale + lower pH = more lead in the water.
All true, but IMO all this fuss about lead in the solder used in plumbing is probably an example of an almost ludicrous degree of bureaucratic 'ultra-caution'. When one remembers that, for centuries, many people spent their whole lives drinking water that had come through pipes made entirely out of lead, the tiny tiny bit of exposure of the water to the solder joining copper pipes surely fades into total insignificance?

Kind Regards, John

Update: It is the 1mm electronic solder I was on about/bought; like others I was once told you can no longer buy it, what of course is not true.

Sponsored Links
I was told that you weren't going to be able to buy it.

Which is why I've got loads of it.

For commercial work non leaded is OK but for DIY it's not safe and it is much healthier to use leaded solder. The problem with non leaded is the flux that must be used. It requires very good fume extraction.

Read the COSHH regulations on the flux required for non leaded and you will never use it again.

Then why is lead free solder easier to get hold off. I have up till now been using lead free silver solder with a rosin flux pen - no fume extraction and all is fine for me. ;)

And how about the solder with built in flux where it is claimed you don't need to use any other flux?

No, the thick plumbing solder is lead-free - for potable supplies.
Do they not sell leaded for use on CH & HW pipes?
There is none on their site.

Do you think plumbers would bother to carry two types and (hopefully) use accordingly?

Last time I had him around, my plumber carried leaded solder for doing larger joints on heating systems. Simply easier and more reliable when you're working with 28mm and bigger.

Just a point regarding petrol mentioned.

Unleaded petrol (95 octane) does contain lead; it just does not have any more added as did four star (98.) and five (100).

No, the thick plumbing solder is lead-free - for potable supplies.
Do they not sell leaded for use on CH & HW pipes?

Yes. Green reel = lead free, Yellow reel = leaded. It's the same gauge.

The only company to jump on the lead free bandwagon for DIY electronics were Maplin. I guess they felt guilty after 40 years of selling the leaded stuff.

Just a point regarding petrol mentioned. Unleaded petrol (95 octane) does contain lead; it just does not have any more added as did four star (98.) and five (100).
Do you mean that it has a little naturally occurring lead in it (which wouldn't surprise me)? AFAIAA, the addition of any tetra-ethyl-lead as an 'anti-knocking agent' (resulting in higher octane fuels) has been completely banned in nearly all countries, other than in aviation fuel.

Tetra-ethyl-lead was a particular problem since, being an organic molecule, it gets into the human bodily much more easily than does 'inorganic' lead (such as the inorganic lead salts you might find in tiny amounts dissolved in tap water when there is lead plumbing).

Kind Regards, John

No, Don't be silly. :)

Seriously, I don't know the technicalities of the process.

Merely that when unleaded petrol was introduced no lead was removed from the product, it just ceased to be added.

No, Don't be silly. :) ... Seriously, I don't know the technicalities of the process. ... Merely that when unleaded petrol was introduced no lead was removed from the product, it just ceased to be added.
Quite so - and, as I said, I don't know whether any 'naturally occurring lead' remained when then stopped adding it. The important point of what I said is that what they were adding (tetraethyl lead) was dramatically more hazardous to man than any lead in tap water which has flowed through lead pipes, let alone thgrough lead-soldered copper pipes.

As for the semantics, I don't personally think there is anything wrong with using the word "unleaded" to mean "no added lead" ('but there still might be some there'). By comparison, most people would take "unsalted peanuts" to mean that no salt had been added, not that peanuts themselves contained no salt (which they do, as does virtually anything else of biological origin), or that all salt had been 'removed' from the nuts - if you wanted to convey that latter meaning, I think you'd have to say "saltless", 'salt-free", "de-salted" or something like that - not "unsalted". .

Kind Regards, John

BTW avgas (petrol for small aircraft) still contains tetraethlyllead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back