Zanussi Washing Machine FL 1085 approx 10 years old.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Machine has become very noisy, and drum now is difficult just to manually turn. It has also left numerous black marks on latest wash which appear to have come through the holes in the drum. The odd mark has been noticed in earlier washes over the last month or so.
I presume the bearings have or are now failing. Any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
Drum noisy when running > likely cause > bearings 'drum or motor'
Difficult to turn > belt jammed on pully, drum bearings/spider worn, motor bearings
Dirt on clothes > build up of crud inside drum 'lack of hot washes to clean out drum so grease/bacteria etc builds up', rubbish from worn corroded bearings/spider, all get sucked back into innner drum during spin cycle

Parts for bearings not too costly but the time and effort is, without splitting the drum it is hard to say if that will be all (worn drum shaft would mean new inner drum as well)

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for that response.

I did take the back off to see what was wrong. Water had clearly leaked through the rear bearing as it was well rusty and tell tail brown staining from spillage was evident within the casing.

It looked a major job to take apart the drum and to rebuild and reconnect it and the extent of damage within the drum etc would not be evident until it was taken apart.

I had already decided to scrap it and buy new even before I received the first response. Hopefully it is being delivered Friday.

Once again many thanks to all for your info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back