Zanussi WDT1085 sometimes trips RCD at start of spin cycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As subject - the machine does what it's supposed to do otherwise and there are no leaks evident. The RCD is a 30mA type. Wash cycles complete just fine, including 60deg or 90deg ones, so the heater doesn't seem to be the problem. If I reset the RCD after it trips, the spin cycle completes OK, too.

No unusual noises, either. Motor brushes are newish (1yr old).

Anyone have ideas about what the problem could be?

Sponsored Links
damaged wire touching something when it starts to jiggle about?

Must be a fault in appliance.

I'll probably be slated by some smart a*** electrician for saying this but RCDs can be more trouble than they're worth, especially with certain white goods gear that are 'leaky' (electrically not water wise), I simply wouldn't use an RCD, as long as the appliance is suitably bonded (earthed) thats protection enough.

Damaged wire knocking on something when the machine shudders as it spins up was my first suspicion - but how do you troubleshoot that, particularly when it's only intermittent?

That washing machine has so far given 11 years of service while sitting behind a 30mA RCD without tripping it, so *something* must have changed recently.

Sponsored Links
faults are like that. One day they aren't there, the next day they are.

maybe 11 years of use is a clue as to why it has developed a fault.

I suppose you could plug it in and and run a wet hand over all the wires to find the damaged one? :LOL: Or maybe clean the dust off with a soft paintbrush and examine them all with a bright light. Tug it about too, maybe a fixing screw has come loose, or a spring or mounting rubber has softened.

Check brushes are seated corrrectly, they could cause arcing which might trip breaker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back