Zanussi WJD 1257W washing machine turns on but no...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help, I have the Zanussi WJD 1257W washing machine which includes an ON/Off button which when pressed allows you to select the washing cycle options but these lights do not turn on after pressing the ON button (which does light up.) What sort of problem might I be looking at here?

Sponsored Links
Not sure about your model. An earlier post concerning a non functioning with a digital display suggested removing front display panel(remove lid, remove screws at front corner and lever out front panel). Ensure connections from plug to front panel are tight( remove from circuit board and gently squeeze before replacing on circuit board)

Hi Sarah

Did you manage to resolve the problem you had 2 years ago? I have the same machine and it appears to be the same problem. The only thing that works is the on/off switch.

Cheers
Steuart

Sponsored Links
Does the light come on at the door. Frequently the interlock gives up on these machines! Sometimes slamming the door does the trick but not too hard please

Hi Sheer1delight
Just tried slamming it with no luck.
I had put a load on a woolens program. It all started fine. I went back some time later to unload it and found it had just stopped in the middle of the program with only the on/off button lit. The door lock was not engaged and the door light was off...

When machine was working normally did door light stay on? If you try and do a wash now does light stay on or not.

I dont know if the light stayed on before - I presume it did.

Now I cant do anything with the machine. The only thing that works is the on/off button, but this does not start the machine. Normally the on/off button allows you to use all the other controls, load type, temp, spin speed, and start/pause etc, but nothing works apart from the on/off button so I cant control anything.
I tried your suggestion to Sarah at the beginning of this topic and took out the control panel and checked its connections which all seem fine.
For reference here is the machines manual: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/1474488/Zanussi---ZWF1237W---ZWF1237W---(PNC-914517542)---Manual

Thanks

I would suspect the door interlock is faulty. They cost about £20 and are readily available on ebay and other "spares" sites. Easy to replace. Switch off machine at mains. Pull back rubber door seal (proably need to remove door seal ring) at lock side. Remove screws holding linterock in place and pull out interlock. remove from wiring loom and replace.

would the door interlock stop the control panel and led display from working?
Cheers
Steuart

Steuart. My sister in law had a similar model and it broke down a couple of years ago. Alas I cannot recall now exactly what the symptoms were other than it wouldn't do anything. I cannot recall if it threw up a fault code or not! However I think that it was not totally dead as there were probably some lights lit on the control panel but pushing the buttons did nothing.

It is possible to dismantle the interlock unit though it is not easy to fathom out exactly what goes on. there is a solenoid arrangement inside. I was able to remove the cover, reconnect the interlock without cover to the loom allowing the interlock to rest on a dry towel in the door aperture. I turned a wheel (?) in the interlock with an insulated screwdriver and the machine kicked into life. A dangerours procedure and not to be recommended unless you are careful!!!!!!!!Whether the interlock had completely failed and would have repeated its failure or if it was a one off fault I did not bother to find out. My sister in law was happy to pay for a new interlock to get it going!

Good luck

A faulty interlock (which also blew a track on the PCB) caused my older Zanussi (no LED display) to stop doing anything - power light came on, but nothing else worked. I don't have any LED displays on my machine, so not sure whether a failed interlock would stop the LED display from working, but might be worth replacing it. You can find my thread on page 2: "Zanussi WJS1397 Power Light On, but won't do anything"

Hi Sheer1

I took apart the interlock - found the wheel thingy. Fiddled with that - nothing. Fiddled with the solenoid - nothing. Tried shorting some of the bits - nothing. There did not appear to be anything gone on the interlock, but as you say it is a hard job to fathom what the bits do.
I did find that when I switched on and off the machine there was a brief flicker on the door lock light. I also tried the pressure tube - it involved sticking my head inside the drum and blowing it! there did not seem a blockage. Is all this still probably/possibly/maybe pointing to a bust interlock?
There does not appear to be any blown bits on the PCB.

I did have a very uneven load which may have triggered off something??...

Clearly the solenoid should activate or do something when it is powered up and the action of the door being closed is simulated.It is impossible to tell just by looking at it if something is wrong unless there is clearly a broken or burnt part. I couldn't see anything wrong with the one I was fixing. however when I had it connected up temporarily with the cover off (and simulated door closed?) and turned the wheel it fired up ready to go.

Also I forgot does some part of the interlock not have to be moved by the action of the door being closed. Was this done?

I would still replace the interlock. The tube affair comes into play when the water machine is filling with water. Your machine is empty and to all intents is virtually dead and will not even take in water..

Not sure how you blew into tube by sticking your head in the drum . This tube is usually connected to bottom of outer drum!

I looked on ebay and they are only about £13.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back