Best way to turn off wireless on Yale HSA 6400 alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had this alarm for a couple of years now but would like to figure out the best way to turn it off completely i.e. turn off the wireless mechanism in particular and only put it on when on holiday or away once in a while as there's mostly always someone at home. I'm particularly trying to cut down RF signals in the house overall and so would welcome any comments on how to do this without disturbing the settings too much on the alarm. I had thought of taking out the batteries, pulling out the transformer plug or switching off the main alarm outside in the box etc., which seems a little drastic but may be the only way. I just need a simple plan which enables me to switch it off and then on just once in a while. I've looked at perhaps deleting items on the menu so they are not recognised and then reinstating them but this seems a bit long winded perhaps. I would welcome any comments from anyone familiar with these alarms.

Sponsored Links
If you want to stop the RF signalling, it's the sensors you need to block. The panel only signals to the siren during an alarm and does not transmit at other times.

The PIRs I suppose you could tape something over the windows to prevent them seeing movement. I would hesitate to keep putting the batteries in and out as sooner or later you will lose the screws or something.

OOI, what are the ill-effects of RF that you have in mind?

Even with that system (what you are proposing), remember the song?

Is not a good idea, alarm systems are designed to work 24/7 and be used.

Better to have any problem show up and get it sorted when YOU are around rather than family & friends (neighbours) when you are away, not fair on them and the will eventually say, NO, can't do that any more.

Or even smash it of the wall and put it through your letter box, seen it done, but the imitation piece of wood who frequents this forum does not believe me.

PS

... and the RF is NOT going to cause any problems in or around your house.

Sponsored Links
If you want to stop the RF signalling, it's the sensors you need to block. The panel only signals to the siren during an alarm and does not transmit at other times.

The PIRs I suppose you could tape something over the windows to prevent them seeing movement. I would hesitate to keep putting the batteries in and out as sooner or later you will lose the screws or something.

OOI, what are the ill-effects of RF that you have in mind?

Thanks JohnD. I'm only trying to cut down on RF as my wife has a brain tumour and I thought it's the least I could do under the circumstances as no-one really knows yet what part saturated RF waves play on our health. I sit on the fence myself but just want to play safe.

stevgil";p="2552610 said:
JohnD";p="2552545 said:

Does this mean then JohnD that perhaps there's no wireless signals being processed unless the system is armed or would you say they are still transmitting in Alarm off mode?

the PIRs sensors always transmit when they detect a movement (except that they go to sleep for a few minutes after each signal) or when the door sensors detect that a door has just been opened.

the sensors do not get disarmed.

the panel (or siren, if there is no panel) knows if it is armed or disarmed, and decides whether to sound the alarm when a signal is received.

My best wishes to you and your partner its must be tough.

I campaigned unsuccesfully to stop a 3g phone mast being built next to my daughters school due toi the uncertainty relating to signals and tumours.
However the devices around your home are very low power and in the case of the alarm only signnalling a small percentage of time even when operating. If you have a wirelss router then that will be creating more rf radiation, Again though an amount not really worth considering unless you are in close proximity to either the router or a pc. Mobile phones when held close to the ear have now been tied to brain tumours however only a specific benign tumour although still needing treatment to prevent structural and physical damage.Try to keep mobiles at arms length _ you can buy an old fashioned corded handset that plugs inti your mobile and these are far safer. _ Unfiortunately your biggest RF problem is you nearset phone mast especially if it has recently being upgraded to 4G there is however not a lot you can do for that although there is a window film you can get

"...The panel only signals to the siren during an alarm and does not transmit at other times..."

So there is no two way signalling on these panels then, in order for the control panel to interrogate the detectors. Is that correct ?

Thanks Bernard,

So a jamming signal can effectively put the panel out of action. Is that correct ? I'm still coming to terms with these panels.

Class 5 & 6 systems aren't as easy for the opportunist to jam, but then if your level of security in high enough for a jam then you shouldn't be installing RF kit.

I'm not entirely sure what class the Yale stuff is, but I'm guessing Class 2 or 3?

Thanks Bernard,

So a jamming signal can effectively put the panel out of action. Is that correct ? I'm still coming to terms with these panels.

A jamming signal does not put the siren out of action. If the siren detects jamming then it activates in the same way as the tamper circuit activates an alarm with a wired system.

The sensors send signals to the control panel at regular intervals. If the panel does not receive these signals or they are weak then the panel will report a missing device or a low battery.

Unfortunately you have now touched on a subject that Bernard will harp on about for the next fifty pages.

The Alarm Man has said the most sensible post I have ever heard on this issue ie If you have security issues other than a low risk property then fit wired .

Thanks for that info MDF,

So it's the Yale siren that detects the jamming, rather than the control panel. Sorry to keep badgering but I want to know about these systems.

Thanks.

Thanks for that info MDF,

So it's the Yale siren that detects the jamming, rather than the control panel. Sorry to keep badgering but I want to know about these systems.

Thanks.

The control panel indicates jamming by instigating a fault and starting the warning beep. The fault log will display 'device out of order lounge' or whatever you have named the particular sensor that has been prevented from getting a signal through. If the jamming goes away the fault light and beep will stop but the log will still retain the messages until cleared.
The jamming would have to be continuous to prevent the control panel from picking up the sensors periodic identity signals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back