Brown Sludge in bottom of washing machine drum?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently followed the perfect advice given to me on this thread:
//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/adding-a-second-washing-machine-to-existing-plumbing.327098/

However, I have got a small snag...
When I opened the machine the other afternoon, there was brown, dirty water up to the door inside of the machine. It had ran fine 2 evenings before. I am assuming that the water must have come from the other washing machine.

Is there any way I can verify this? It is strange as for around 3 weeks, there has been nothing.

Any help would be super.

Sponsored Links
Make sure both machine drain hoses rise to the top of the machine height, before descending into the drain......that way, the only way that one machine will drain into another is if the main waste becomes blocked (or too much water was passing through it at the time when the machine was draining).
John :)

Hi, thanks for your post. The waste hoses do rise above the machines, but the waste hose for the newer machine is very taught. It literally only just fits on the trap. I was going to get an extension pipe but I thought that might hinder things as it would be alot longer than I need as I literally only need around 5-6cm more.

Do you think it is worth me getting a non-release valve for the waste pipe on the newer machine, if there is such a thing?

Make sure both machine drain hoses rise to the top of the machine height, before descending into the drain......that way, the only way that one machine will drain into another is if the main waste becomes blocked (or too much water was passing through it at the time when the machine was draining).
John :)

if the waste hose goes to a sink waste, then the hose must loop up so it is higher than the water level in the sink when it is full.

otherwise the washing machine will fill up with sink water, tealeaves and bacon fat.

A standpipe trap is preferable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your post John. Ok that could be difficult as the unit will not allow for the pipe to come up and out of the unit fixings and therefore above the sink level. The strange thing is that the original machine never had this problem. I wonder if by adding an extra machine, there is more waste now going through the pipe and maybe at busy times like if the sink was emptying and a machine was emptying, it is too much?

The odd thing was, there was a considerable amount in the drum of the machine.
Do you know if there is a non return valve I could fit to the waste pipe of the machine so I know for the moment it will not get more dirty water inside of it. It is brand new and quite expensive. I thought it would have a built in one, but obviously not!

if the waste hose goes to a sink waste, then the hose must loop up so it is higher than the water level in the sink when it is full.

otherwise the washing machine will fill up with sink water, tealeaves and bacon fat.

A standpipe trap is preferable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back