DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

nissan micra brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Car Repairs / Maintenance
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossmicra

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote

hello wonder if anyone could help me. My brake lights have stopped working on my nissan micra w reg, apart from the brakelight in the rear windscreen. i have checked bulbs and they look ok, and have checked the fuse that seems ok. COuld it be the switch near the brakes pedal? but if it is switch why does the rear wind screen brake light work? please help i feel dumb
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
libby lou lou

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote

Scrap it, the sooner we get these cars off the road, the better, one of the worst cars to get behind, other than someone towing a caravan, theyr'e slow, or the drivers are.
Nothing wrong with your'e footbrake switch by the way.
 Alert Moderators
Peter.N.

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote

If one brake light is working it won't be the switch. If the lights are on the tailgate its likely that a wire from the body to tailgate has broken.

Peter
 Alert Moderators
rossmicra

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote

Thanks for reply guys, I will have another look later, both the rear lights work which is on the same bulb, so maybe I will put new bulbs in. As the only brake light that working is the one in the tail gate.
 Alert Moderators
Peter.N.

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote

Yes check the bulbs first, its unusual for both to fail at the same time but I have had it happen.

Peter
 Alert Moderators
Burnerman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote

A bulb check would be a good idea, but these lamp clusters on the rear wings are fed from the offside (if I remember correctly) and the cables then continue around the back of the boot to the nearside.
So, if you still have problems, ignition on, keep the brake pedal depressed with a short length of timber, and use a meter or a 12v screwdriver to look for a voltage at one of the terminals unplugged from the lamp cluster.
John icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
TicklyT

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote

All sorts of strange things can start happening if the earth connection to one or both lamp clusters fails, or has a high resistance.

Things like indicators stopping, or the flash rate changing when you apply the brakes, the front sidelights lighting up instead of the brake lights, all the lamps in one cluster glowing dimly when only the brake lights are supposed to be on, or the tail lights going out instead of the brake lights coming on, etc. etc. can all point towards a dodgy earth connection somewhere.

Just to complicate things, the fault often isn't at the light cluster where the lights come on unexpectedly, it is just as likely to be on the opposite cluster.
The fault can back feed 12 Volts through all the lights in the faulty cluster. That power then flows 'backwards' through all the circuits until it finds an earth connection, lighting all the other lamps on the way).
 Alert Moderators
Burnerman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote

Some very good points raised here - indeed some bizarre happenings occur when the earth isn't as it should be.
Some manufacturers use a galvanised steel connection to their lamp units, which eventually rust away.....first class design, that.
John icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Car Repairs / Maintenance All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: