Temperature gauge and coolant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Driving home yesterday and I got 3 loud beeps and a flashing red light on the dash beside the temperature gauge. The temperature was also stuck at minimum(60). When I got home, I checked the coolant reservoir and it seemed to be empty. So when the car cooled down, I filled the reservoir to the minimum point. I took the car out for a short drive, and the temperature gauge rose up to a normal 90 after about 5 minutes. However, today, when I took the car out, the temperature gauge didn't move up and stayed stuck on 60 again. Coolant reservoir seems to be still around where I topped up to, judging by looking. I will open it up to confirm as soon as I finish up work. Any early opinions? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA ....................... No ............. :LOL:

Double check that the interior heater still blows hot, as you might have an air lock in the cooling system, or a faulty sensor. Wiggle the wires going to what I think from memory is a 4 wire sensor (E-Bay will have one for reference), just in case you have a corroded connection.

Keep in touch

Hi Mursal. Thanks for the reply.

Heater works ok because this morning it was on. But I'll double check. Maybe the coolant needs to come up a little higher tha minimum to make the 'connection'. Well, that is, assuming that there isn't a leak!

Have you checked the oil for signs of baby sick? Damp carpet? Any signs of leakage onto the road (pretty difficult to tell if it is raining like it has been here)?
The temp sensor ought to be located on the cooling loop somewhere, what make and model car?
To me, if the reservoir is between min and max it shouldn't have any effect on the gauge reading.

Sponsored Links
Reservoir is filled to minimum point only. Car is a 01 Seat Cordoba. No Damp Carpet. Will check the oil as soon as possible. Thanks.

Just keep an eye on the coolant level (top it up to the maximum mark), not sure about the temperature gauge, it should work? As already mentioned a slow leak could be a possibility.

Ok, so I checked the oil. Seems perfect. No strange colours. Perhaps a small bit low, but nothing else.
The coolant reservoir is now filled to maximum. I had a long drive yesterday. 2 hours. For 95% of the drive the temperature gauge stayed in the lowest position. Early on in the drive, it moved up to 90(normal position for the gauge when driving), but stayed there for only a couple of seconds before dropping back down to 60. I didn't notice it moving at all for the rest of the trip. It's a strange one.

Remember the expansion tank is a sort of add-on. When the radiator gets hot the coolant expands into it, and when it cools it "sucks" it back into the radiator. If your radiator isn't full the expansion tank won't really be doing anything. Try and check the actual radiator level.

Does the interior heater still blow hot when it is reading 60?
Does the temperature increase when moving in slow traffic, maccy d's drive through always used to cause the temperature to rise in my mondeo, up into the red and the radiator fan would kick in.

Just trying to figure if it is just a temperature sensor problem or a fault in the cooling system.

Heater still works fine. I reckon the radiator must be ok, because I drove 4 hours total yesterday without any problems? I reckon if the radiator was empty or anything like that, it would react.

A basic way to check a radiator is full of water is to squeeze the flexible hose connecting the top a few times. If it feels empty then you have a problem. If not then it's full of water and fine.
That is talking in general, I don't know if yours is a rubber hose but likelyhood it is.

I'll check that today, thanks. There is a rubber hose from the reservoir. I have a 4 hour round trip today. :/
I would have thought that the radiator would overheat and show smoke/steam symptoms if it was empty? I had a 3 to 4 hour round trip on friday and it drove fine?

The hose seems firm when the engine is cold. And I checked after starting the car and the have slight movement to suggest water flow. Hard to tell by squeezing but I would guess that liquid is moving through them. So the temperature gauge mystery continues! Like I said, it moved up to the 90 mark for around 5 seconds shortly after my drive began on Friday and then went back down to 60. Every time I looked at it after that it was down at 60(minimum).

Water only flows though the radiator hose when the (wax) thermostat opens after the engine heats up, there is a possibility that this has stuck wide open and is overcooling the engine which is why I asked before if the gauge goes up when the car has insufficient airflow through the radiator for cooling i.e. a trip to Maccy D's drive through on a warm day.
On the other hand as others say it could just be a temperature sensor or it's associated circuit playing up.

Sponsored Links
Back