Anyone know about Shropshire planning and regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help!

We're currently buying a detached cottage in 0.6 acres of land in Shropshire. The property's roof can only just be seen from the road. It is VERY run down and pretty much needs stripping back to brick outside (rendered) and some rooms will need the same inside. The house fronts a road, but is surrounded on the other 3 sides by farm land.

It is basically a 2 storey rectangle with a one storey extension (haven't seen plans so we're assuming not original house) at one end extending from the back of the property. So it is L shaped from above. We would like to eventually add a storey to this single storey and then add a 2 storey extension along the back of the house to square it all off.

I'm a bit shocked about the prices for planning permission and was hoping you could let me know if you think the prices are reasonable?

Description of work - Extension 40-100m2
Plan charge
£ 210
Inspection charge
£ 420
Building Notice
£ 690

Would we need all of the above? I have looked at some architect and other advice over prices and they all seem to quote round about £200 - certainly nothing like the cumulative price above - for planning so I don't know where these figures come from!? Does this include building regulations or will there be an additional charge for this as I assume this would be an inspection?

More concerning:
Description of work - Replace up to 12 windows
Plan charge
£ 60
Inspection charge
£ 120
Building Notice
£ 120

Would we really need to pay £300 to replace single glazed windows with double glazed ones!?

I have also read about permitted development, and this might need to be what we consider in terms of the extension, but do we really have to pay all 3 sums even for windows!?

Any help or clarification of what the above charges are for and sympathy if Shropshire council are being very greedy would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Planning is totally separate from Building Regulations, as are their fees.

You only pay the plan fee + the inspection fee or just the notice fee. Both for the windows or the extension.

If you use a Fensa approved window supplier/fitter then you won't need to pay a separate Regs fee its covered within the installation price but that way you can't do it yourself.

The fees are fairly typical of Local Authority fees. There are Private Inspectors who may be cheaper.

Still, some would say you should have explored all of this before you began the restoration/extending journey you have begun. If you are finding the cost of the Regs fees the most concerning I think someone needs to get Googling pretty sharpish!

The official sites offer very good guidance:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/

If you are in the process of buying, then you should sort out what you can and can't do in terms of planning and maintenance as part of the conveyance. If it is surrounded by farmland, then it may either be in the green belt or otherwise be subject to special treatment for planning purposes.

Planning fees are fixed nationally by statute

B/regs fees will be as per you councils fee scales. A Notice fee includes for application and inspection, the Full Plans route requires the separate plan checking and inspection fees

I am not sure what you mean about looking at Architect advice for prices, but if you employ some Architect or designer, then that will mean paying their fees in addition to the council [statutory] fees

For windows, one fee covers you for those 12 windows

From your post it sounds as though you are a little bit confused as to the difference between Planning Permission and Building Regulations.

I suggest you follow the links provided by freddy mercurys twin. They should hopefully help explain what the two different elements involve. The prices you have listed are all concerned with building control - not planning permission.

When making a building control application you can either have a "Full Plans" application or work under a "Building Notice".

A full plans application will mean that the proposed plans are approved before any work is started. The benefit of this is that you can have more detailed plans ready to give to builders in order to get quotes. This should mean that you will get much more realistic prices that are less likely to change during the project giving you greater cost certainty. It is likely you will need to employ an architect or designer in order to produce these plans and liaise with the inspector though. Additionally, the inspector will come to site to assess the work to ensure that it all complies with the regulations.

Under a building notice the builder has the control to make decisions on design, specification and construction. This is checked by an inspector who visits the site. However, as nothing has been agreed previously you have little control over the cost of the work and more importantly, no control over the cost of any changes or adaptations that an inspector may insist upon. A Building Notice requires great trust in your builder.

In short - full plans provides cost certainty but loads cost to the front of the project by virtue of designers fees whilst a building notice offers greater speed by allowing the builder the freedom of specification (but loading unknown costs to the back of the project).

For Planning fees - you should check with your council website - HERE?

Additionally, it is worth speaking with the planning department in order to work out if there are indeed any further planning restrictions, as mentioned by woody, that may affect development of the property.

Sponsored Links
A full plans application will mean that the proposed plans are approved before any work is started.

Not 100% correct. Works can commence on site once a BN/FP has been submitted. With a FP, you don't "have to" wait for an approval before commencing. Just that anything you do is at your own risk and providing the BCO is called out and inspects at regular intervals, then there shouldn't be any problems.

A full plans application will mean that the proposed plans are approved before any work is started.

Not 100% correct. Works can commence on site once a BN/FP has been submitted. With a FP, you don't "have to" wait for an approval before commencing. Just that anything you do is at your own risk and providing the BCO is called out and inspects at regular intervals, then there shouldn't be any problems.

Agreed, in my experience the only trouble with starting works beforehand is if something specified on the (as yet unapproved) plans needs changing whilst on site. The builder will say he costed for what was drawn (whether he knows better or not) and the designer will say that the plans were awaiting approval. The inspector will say they are still assessing the plans so the end result is that the Client ends up footing the cost difference.

mrdudsir seems to have disappeared. What's the bet he's gone to lay down in a dark room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back