Council tax advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been paying council tax for the last 4 years on a property that I built and recently heard that I might be exempt from this for the following reasons;

The house doest not benefit from basic services such as water or gas and as such is not finished. The only supply terminating in the house is power and foul drainage. Additionally, the house does not have a boiler, means of other space heating i.e. fire place, no cooker, no fridge/ freezer or a completion and commissioning certificate.

When I approached my local authority regarding the matter they said "our observations of the property says it falls within the council tax guidelines"

If the house is not habitable, and does not benefit from a completion or commissioning certificate would you agree its against the law (property law)

On the local authority's website - one of the expemtions are "Property which is unoccupied because occupation is forbidden by law"

Where do I stand? I have paid thousands of pounds in council tax on this property.

Any adivse is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i would ask exactly what there observations where and exactly what criteria deems a property liable for council tax or exempt

keep in mind some councils charge more for unoccupied properties

Thank you both for the replies.

No, nobody has ever lived there. I dont think it can be classed as a empty dwelling if it doesnt have the correct paperwork/ certificates declaring it as a dwelling/ residence.

They're observatios were from outside (in all fairness to them it appears finished from outside)

Tha ks

Sponsored Links
Council tax and rules are legislation. Get in touch with your local MP, they can make allowances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back