Planning/building regs whilst selling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have Agreed a sale on our house.

Now the buyers solicitor has asked the following questions

1) We have a single storey extension the width of the property that extends 4mtrs to the rear.
It was built by a previous owner to us approx 1988-1990

Am i right that we don't have to provide ethier document (as we havent got them) as it is over 4 years old and not enforcable

please advise

2)At the same time the previous owner to us removed a party wall down stairs, they have asked for the drawings and building regs for this (again we dont have these).

I am unsure that i need to provide any documentation due to it being so old.

I think they are after indemnities but i know this is a con due to the age of the work

Sponsored Links
You don't have to provide anything you don't want to but the buyer might not proceed unless you do. Tell them the extension and alteration is well outside of enforcement due to passage of time. If they pursue it offer to pay for an indemnity insurance policy. The solicitor will know what you mean. The policy will cost a few hundred qiud at most.

Thank you Jed confirm what i was thinking.

,I think the solicitor is just doing his job, and its a first time buyer so he's very cautious, He even asked for the damp proofing companies rough drawings from 2000 that were done prior to a quote!

As for the indemnity. I thought that they would not cover something over 10 years old?

Daft thing is the build quality is very good and they are the features that attracted the buyer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back