solid wall question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has solid external walls. If I were to have an extension built, would the extension require a cavity wall?

Sponsored Links
My house has solid external walls. If I were to have an extension built, would the extension require a cavity wall?
Not necessarily no.

But, it would have to comply to the latest reg's which in practical terms means a wall thicker than the existing solid fellas.

Building with a cavity means that all the insulation required can be hidden in the cavity, leaving the inner walls free and solid. *It is also the most economical method.

*When using 100mm full fill dritherm.

[it would have to comply to the latest reg's which in practical terms means a wall thicker than the existing solid fellas.

Building with a cavity means that all the insulation required can be hidden in the cavity, leaving the inner walls free and solid. *It is also the most economical method.

*When using 100mm full fill dritherm.
I'm pleased to see you say that. I've just rebuilt an old single brick extension on my Cotswold stone house, with brick/block and 100mm cavity filled with dritherm. The odd thing was that my architect and a couple of builders tried to make me have the insulation on the inside of a solid wall - still cannot understand why!

Sponsored Links
But, it would have to comply to the latest reg's which in practical terms means a wall thicker than the existing solid fellas.

There may be a possibility of a timber frame, with external single skin brickwork, and this may be close to the 230mm or so of an old solid wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back