Will knocking down outbuilding gain me space in extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that amongst other things if the development need to be less the 50% of the original outside space. If i was to knock down the original outside toilet and coal shed, could i add this space recovered to the extension?

Also the outside toilet is a lean to at the back of the house, which is connected to next doors lean to. Would i be able to knock mine down or will this be a problem structurally to the neighbours?

Sponsored Links
dont forget decking sheds garages greenhouses and other structures come off your 50% allowance as well

first question: yes - it is calculated with regard to the ORIGINAL dwelling house.

second question: that depends on the roof design, wall construction etc. You may be best to leave a pier or buttress but best to get an engineer's opinion. In theory you are also into Party Wall etc Act territory.

Thank you so even if you have removed original items they will still count and will not be able to add the space saved to a new development?

Sponsored Links
I understand that amongst other things if the development need to be less the 50% of the original outside space. If i was to knock down the original outside toilet and coal shed, could i add this space recovered to the extension?

Yes, what's the problem?
Your new extension should not exceed 50% of the ground area left after the house was built, so theoretically you are only incorporating the space taken up by privy and shed within your new-build.

Don't forget that if you have a front garden - no matter how small - you can incoprporate that into your 50%.

original outbuildings count towards the fifty percent rule as the law does refer to the original dwelling house. . So you have your house on your plot. Subtract the area of the house from the area of the plot. Halve the result. This is the max area you may cover with outbuildings. The outbuilding can be built at any time past present or future

Note that your car port is also an outbuilding and must come outof your fifty percent allowance

as an aside the regs are for the house as built or the footprint including extensions as off 1947 or 1948 so if your house is older than 1948 check what was there at the time as thats the allowed footprint to deduct from

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back