Building a summer house- advice please!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'd like to build a summer house this spring as a small project and I'm looking for advice.
I've never built one before and have very limited DIY experience. However I'd like t give it a go.

The idea is to do everything ourselves, i.e. not buying pre-made.

Does anyone have any experience/ advice they can offer with this kind of project, and any books they can advise on/ or floor plans?

Warm regards,

N

Sponsored Links
That was my project this time last year, here's some pics.

I can give you a run down on the how to.... materials and costs etc, or any specifics. ]

Hi Alistair, if you could give me a run down on everything for the summer house that would be a huge help. Your project looks great.

I've just PM'd you now.

Warm regards,

Could you give us a bit more to go on : Space available, budget, what use you might put it to, whether you want to insulate it lots or not?

Sponsored Links
I have been thinking of building one of those for when I am in the dog house with the mrs

Hi Alistair, if you could give me a run down on everything for the summer house that would be a huge help.

Hi Nick,

The summer house walls were constructed from 125x50mm off the saw red pine at 5.4m lengths.

The floor was 9x2" @ 450mm centres.

Roof 5x2" @ 600 centres.

The floor joists were laid on concrete pads around a metre apart throughout the footprint of the shed...DPC on top of the pads before laying the joists.

I made the shed the same size as the lengths of 5x2, the shed being around 3.4m in length and veranda 2m.

Once the floor joists were laid i built the framing for the walls, on the outside of the frame is 9mm osb plywood then builders paper (breathable membrane) then vertical straps every 450mm to which the log lap cladding is fixed.

The inside is insulated with 150mm rockwool between the studs then 500 guage vapour barrier is fixed (plastic sheet) and 12.5mm gyproc to complete.

The roof i formed myself and plated together using various cramping plates and truss clips. there are many ways to construct a roof depending on the pitch and type of roof covering. The problem with building summerhouses is the restricted heights we are allowed to go to.
That roof is 2.4m to the ridge giving a pitch of 11 degrees (which is not enough for tiles) but i torched on felt beneath the tiles and that is the waterproof layer..the tiles are aesthetic.

The space between the ceiling and roof is stuffed with rockwool.

The floor is netted, and again rockwool between floor joists, then 18mm wbp plywood, insulation pads on top of ply then 18mm hardwood flooring.

The lower half of the inside of the shed was lined with channel lining on top of horizontal straps.

The Electrics were taken from the house consumer unit and run through 16mm armoured cable the 11 metres to the shed and into a consumer unit.
Tere is 3 circuits..one for lights...sockets and a seperate fuse for a 1500 watt panel heater.

Material costs were approx 2k

A rough breakdown

The 5x2 and 9x2.. 50 lengths total i got from an internet reclamation site for £150....a bargain.

The plywood cost around £12.00 a sheet which i needed around 20...£220.00

Loglap cladding 22mm was £350.00...sawmill.

Roof felt, strapping, tiles etc another £300.

Veranda was done in decking...approx £100.00

Plasterboard, channel linning was probably another £200.

Electrics £150.00

The double glazed units i got from a company which sold me their mis-measures for £20.00 each Brand new...same for the door i got that from a reclamation yard.

The rest of the expense was the lighting, flooring, underside of canopy and lining the ceiling, paint and preservative.

I used to come in from my work and do a couple of hours every night so took around 5 months lol.
Its a great wee space for us to sit in the summer with the door open with a cup of tea.

If you intend your own build to be for everyday use..office etc let us know and we will explain how to vent it and prevent condensation.

Just let us know if there is any specific questions you need answered.

Good luck when you come to do your project...enjoy it as i did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back