DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Cost of building in blocks + Vs Bricks

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
djwhite04

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote

We are building a double storey extension to the back and side of our house. Can anyone tell me if it is cheaper to build in block work and then render or build with bricks? (The existing house is brickwork that has been fully painted White so we would potentially need to render the whole house) Thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
noseall

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote

999 out of a 1000, if i was given the choice - show brickwork every time.

Render is a pain, plus it is a long term maintenance issue.
 Alert Moderators
^woody^

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote

Build costs are marginally different if anything, but then render is an ongoing cost and risk, which is not present with brickwork

Planning conditions would normally require the extension to match the house, but that would not mean painting brickwork or rendering. If the house is brickwork, then build in brickwork and leave it unpainted
 Alert Moderators
tim00

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote

Fully support noseall and woody. My take on this is: never paint brick or stonework. Painted render can cause all kinds of difficulties, not least, condensation - even with "approved" paint.
If you were to attempt to render over the in-situ painted brickwork you would first have to grind off the paint - lots of work esp. at the reveals and details.
FWIW: the painting of brickwork Victorian and Edwardian terrace houses over the past 40 years has resulted in slumlike eyesores, and the mutilation of what should be national treasures. Go to Bradford, Oldham, and Longsight Manchester and weep.
 Alert Moderators
dishman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote

tim00 wrote:
Fully support noseall and woody. My take on this is: never paint brick or stonework. Painted render can cause all kinds of difficulties, not least, condensation - even with "approved" paint.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I am curious. Planning extensive rennovation to my 1930s semi (as I have mentioned in many recent posts) which is one quater pebbledash (which was painted white at some point) and the rest brick.

As the pebbledash is 80years old it has started to blow out in areas. Many neighbours re-rendered a while back and the norm in the street is smooth render, painted white.

If you say, this is a nightmare to maintain, can cause damp etc. What is the correct/best way to re-render. Sand/Cement and paint white? Lime based render? One of these modern pre-coloured polymer mixes? Or new pebbledash (which although an original feature...would look very out of place).

Part of the my rennovation includes an two story extention which will match the original. I assume that up to the render line it will be brick, and past that point it would be cheaper/best to use blockwork? Any thoughts on that whilst on the same subject as the original post?
 Alert Moderators
indus

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know the answer as well. Most of the houses on my road are brick for the ground floor and then pebble dash. As people have renovated over the years some have had the pebbledash removed and replaced by render and painted.

Why should this cause damp?
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: