lay block flat or vertical to take wall plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im building a two storey extension
I have got to the point where i need to lay the final blocks to take the wall plate, should the hemelite block be laid flat or can I cut approx to the desired size approx 13cm high and lay it normally as you would lay a block vertically

Sponsored Links
Vertically is adequate, you also will be able to extend the wall insulation up to meet the loft or roof insulation that way.

thanks wish I had discovered this site before starting my extension
I was thinking of closing the cavity wall of with slates and laying the final external wall half a block on top of this the inner wall would have approx 1.5 block and the wall plate would sit on this

Is your insulation full fill? If it is then no need to bother with any other means of closing the cavity.

Sponsored Links
yes full fill dritherm 85mm, cavity is appox 85-90m
if I did close the caviy can I do it with slate

I have dritherm 85mm insulation full fill, I haven't closed the cavity at the top as yet was considering doing this to stop anything going down the cavity

I understand what your saying regarding the cavity being closed with the dritherm but read somewhere about closing the cavity with something solid so to stop fire coming up the cavity

I have been reading about this there seems to be a difference of opinions about this but I glad to hear the if the cavity is fully filled with dritherm then it meets the regs.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back