Single Skin -Wall on 2nd Floor Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All, we are currently looking to buy a property...we have been looking for about 6 months and have found one we really like - a 1930ish semi. There is just one thing that is bugging me about it though, and I thought it would be better to find out a bit more before we put in our offer

Right, I will try and explain this the best I can given I know little about building a house. The house has a 2 story rear exstension that was added in around 2007-both levels were build at the same time. Today I noticed that the ground floor extension is cavity wall but upstairs the outside walls are really thin - I didn't measure them but they are about 5 inches thick. Meaning that the windows have no window sils. The house is rendered so Im not sure if the top bit is brick - I did tap the wall but couldn't be sure. I just wanted to check if this kind of construction is normal? I was going to do a bit of research on the internet but im not sure what to google.

Sponsored Links
also not sure if this relevant but the windows on the 2nd floor extension have been limited to opening only 2 inches (approx) evening though they are new windows.

If the single-skin construction at first-floor level is brick or block, then it would definitely NOT be normal. It could possibly be in timber frame, but that would not be usual if ground- and first floors were built together and the obvious question would be why was it done that way? My hunch is that this extension has not been done under Building Regs. There may be no completion certificate for it and there could well be other dubious details lurking. The windows certainly wouldn't comply with means-of-escape requirments.
Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

The top may well be timber frame

The windows will be on a restrictor device

Get a survey done

Sponsored Links
Thank you woody and tony for taking the time to post. We are going to ask to see the plans /completion cert for the extension. If we decide to put in an offer (although this is looking less likely at the moment) we will definately get a survey. Thank you again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back