Dulux trade vinyl matt, white vs brilliant white

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Started using dulux trade to do some ceilings. First I used a can of trade pure brilliant white, it was this tin:

http://www.choiceful.com/choiceful-...5-Litres-for-interior-walls-and-ceilings.html

The paint was so thick it wouldn't pour out of the can but when watered down it covered excellent in just one coat.

After that ran out I got the normal trade white 10l vinyl matt, it was much more paint like and not as thick. it didn't cover half as well.

So my question is, is the difference merely due to the fact one is white and one is brilliant white or is the can in the link above different to normal? I notice it has different packaging to the 'pure brilliant white' they sell normally.

i.e. this: http://www.designercolours.com/images/products/pics/DU_VM.jpg

Sponsored Links
The trade paint is thicker and it covers better because it contains more pigment than the standard Dulux retail paint.
You don't say whether the 10L tin you bought is the trade version but judging by what you do say about it's poorer coverage then I presume it was the retail paint.

The paint in both of your links is trade paint and is exactly the same, just with different labels.

Sponsored Links
Apparently, the normal trade white has a new formulation (haven't used it recently so had to check) which as it dries gets whiter. Perhaps this is why you felt it wasn't covering as well.
It's a bit annoying that so many paints are changing and mostly for the worst - will have to keep an eye on that particular one. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back