How to paint this? Stone interior wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I'm not the most DIY savvy person but my partner and I have just bought our first house. I love everything about it except for a big stone wall in the lounge, which makes the whole room look very dark. I'd like to cover it up and was wondering what you would suggest? I'd quite like to paint it white but am not sure what sort of paint I would need.

Click for a pic from Rightmove.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Thinned Matt emulsion for the first coat would be sufficient. Then 2 coats of neat emulsion.

Wow, that is some 1960s retro wall. Amazing. It makes the house look inside out - you normally only get stonework like that on the exterior of bungalows!

I suppose as it is inside, emulsion over stabilsing primer would do, but I would be tempted to go for white smooth masonry paint which is thicker, tougher and designed for stone. It's not that much more expensive, either.

In fact unless you specially like the 'crazy paving'ffect of the pointing, I would get the whole lot plastered (browning and skim coat).

Good luck with the renovations/decorating and enjoy your new home.

Sponsored Links
As EB said that is some feature wall, My opinion would be to think carefully if you really want to destroy it,
that appears to be a main selling point along with the beams, wooden floor.

Painting over it will ruin it,, and replaster is the only option IMO, but then one has ruined one of the features of the room. Decision time !

I'm pretty sure I would want rid of it, if it were my house. It dominates the room ridiculously - it is so 'in yer face' you can't escape it or even tone it down. The exaggerated pointing/grouting looks like varicose veins. I could not sit and relax and feel calm in that room!

There were some design choices in the 70s which were just plain bad and I think this is one of them.

Persuade me otherwise?

So, I'm not the most DIY savvy person but my partner and I have just bought our first house. I love everything about it except for a big stone wall in the lounge, which makes the whole room look very dark. I'd like to cover it up and was wondering what you would suggest? I'd quite like to paint it white but am not sure what sort of paint I would need.

Cheers!
Get it plastered :LOL: It looks like crazy paving - the fire is just about acceptable

I'm pretty sure I would want rid of it, if it were my house. It dominates the room ridiculously - it is so 'in yer face' you can't escape it or even tone it down. The exaggerated pointing/grouting looks like varicose veins. I could not sit and relax and feel calm in that room!

There were some design choices in the 70s which were just plain bad and I think this is one of them.

Persuade me otherwise?

In 30/40 years time there will be people posting on here how to get rid of the "Wall to Wall" Open glass panelling which is "trendy" at the moment in tall luxury apartments. :eek:

Persuade me otherwise?

In 30/40 years time there will be people posting on here how to get rid of the "Wall to Wall" Open glass panelling which is "trendy" at the moment in tall luxury apartments. :eek:

Ha! And they STILL won't have caught the criminal who invented Artex...

Personally I love it, but then I find most contemporary schemes very bland and boring and 'uncosy'. One thing to remember though is that it will be easy to paint but very difficult to undo so think hard about it and that it won't be one of those things like pebble dash or arex where you think 'why on earth did they do that?'

Could always put a sheet of plasterboard over the top and paint/finish that. Then if you want the stone back, just remove it.

Could always put a sheet of plasterboard over the top and paint/finish that. Then if you want the stone back, just remove it.

Well, it wouldn't be quite as simple as you suggest - dotting and dabbing would leave a mess on the stone, so you'd have to dryline it properly with battens, etc. But that would improve insulation so it wouldn't be a bad thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back