Woodchip Ceiling: Skim or "smoothing paint"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of redecorating we want to lose the woodchip ceilings esp in the hallway.
What is the most convenient way: to skim on top of it or to use those paints that are meant to cover bog cracks and imperfections etc? :?:
Ta :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
1) you have got to take it off

2) it will have been put up because the ceiling is in very bad condition

so you probably end up pulling it down, and having the ceiling replastered, or having the ceiling reboarded and plastered. Pulling it down will be an interesting experience for you, and surpisingly dirty.

Start asking round for recommendations for a plasterer.

Use a Steam Wallpaper stripper, (Cheap enough in B & Q and can be used for other household jobs.) Score the paper first with a DIY scorer.
You may get away with re lining with a quality lining paper
Some people used woodchip as a cheap alternative to Artexing the ceiling.

5010291500351_001c_v001_zp

Many thanks for your help guys.
I have a plasterer.
removing it from the walls of my old place was torture and I only did it from 1 ceiling as the underlying plaster was crumbled.
So I ended up skimming over the rest - and it was fine for the rest of the few years we were there.

Here in the few exposed areas I can see the ceilings are probably even in worse nick and have been overpainted and patched to maintain integrity.
I agree I think the woodchip and some polyfiller patching has been used to hide imperfections - some pretty ugly as I think there used to be speakers in some ceilings!. It has since been heavily overpainted to create a firm base.

Not sure I can face the demolition of the woodchip removal so might try same trick of over-skimming.

skim over painted paper will crack and fall off.

Ask about having it overboarded and skimmed.

Fair enough - thank you.
I am not trying to be churlish asking for help and ignoring it (completely!) - I was just using my experience of a similar situation which seemed to work with good effect.
It is my new family home so Landlord fixes are not what I am after.

I shall do as you advise

I can see the blisters and feel your pain. :LOL: :LOL:

so you should Joe - all your bloody fault :D

Once again thanks all for the helpful constructive advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back