Advice Needed On New Socket Placement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm currently renovating my property in BG and need some advice on moving a socket to a new position. I've never done any electrical work before; probably never even rewired a plug! But, I understand the concept of what is involved where basic electrics are concerned. However, before I carry out my tasks, I would like to know if I'm doing it right.

Here's a diagram:

I want to move the socket because it'll be in the way for when I fix on the skirting board, so therefore would like it higher up maybe by 6-10 CM.
So what I plan on doing is keeping the existing box as a little junction box, extending the existing cable with a terminal block and plastering in the new box above. Now, do I really have to keep that old box accessible or can i just plaster over it, concealing the terminal block or is that very bad practice? Because in some ways, if I have to keep that accessible, it kinda defeats the object of moving the socket lol as I'll still have the old box in the way for the skirting board. Any advice? Is there another way?

Also, just a random question, a couple of years ago, in another room, I had a socket which had a radiator plugged in (it was off at the time) and the socket started to melt, even though the radiator wasn't on. I put it down to maybe it was running off a spur already in use. Is this right?

Sponsored Links
I've never done any electrical work before; probably never even rewired a plug! But, I understand the concept of what is involved where basic electrics are concerned.

I hate it when they say that

This is a UK site. You need to familiarise yourself with Bulgarian regulations and working practices.

In the UK you have got the run that cable directly vertically, not diagonally,

I've never done any electrical work before; probably never even rewired a plug! But, I understand the concept of what is involved where basic electrics are concerned.

I hate it when they say that

This is a UK site. You need to familiarise yourself with Bulgarian regulations and working practices.

Hi JohnD, I appreciate this is a UK site, but I have posted this here, in the correct section for electrics abroad. as for familiarising myself with regs, I have no idea how to find out as google search didn't yield much and my Bulgarian isn't yet good enough to read through pages of info regarding it :mrgreen:.

In the UK you have got the run that cable directly vertically, not diagonally,
I've been observing the work of my English builder friend here and he's been running them diagonally. I understand this is not the way cables are run, (don't think they bother too much over here anyway), but as it would be very highly unlikely anyone drilling where the diagonal cable, i didn't think it would be too much of a problem. Besides, didn't want to put the new box directly above because it'll be too high in relation to the other sockets in the room.

Can anyone tell me how'd I'd go about doing this, even if it's the English way? I really want this socket moved :evil:

Maybe there is sufficient slack in the wires for them to be pulled into the new position.

If not you should really solder the new wires to the old and cover the joints with tape, preferably self amalgamating tape.

Sponsored Links
Maybe there is sufficient slack in the wires for them to be pulled into the new position.

If not you should really solder the new wires to the old and cover the joints with tape, preferably self amalgamating tape.

Thanks for your reply.

There could be enough slack in the cable to be pulled up, but without turning off the electricity, I haven't had a look yet. Need to label my RCBs so don't have to turn off everything :mrgreen:.

I have actually seen a lot of wiring over here done with black insulation tape (never seen any work that's been soldered though). It's amazing how they don't tend to bother over here. I have actually noticed some joints made with just selotape :eek:, although they are contained in a junction box.

Soldering is a bit off-putting as it sounds a bit like too much messing around and i have never soldered before so may not do it correctly.

Plastering over a unsoldered taped-up join is not ideal, and i don't fancy having an accessible junction box visible for the sake of a socket being moved above it, so i think the only option is to see if there is any slack and if not ill have to leave it :(. Any other ideas welcome. Cheers.

the best solution i think to find out where the cable is coming from, most probably from a socket outlet in the same room and just replace the whole cable with the desired length. with no junction cables you will be more safe and you can plaster as you wish. Don't plaster on bare cables tough,, just in case not to make some chemical reaction with the cable insulation.

the best solution i think to find out where the cable is coming from, most probably from a socket outlet in the same room and just replace the whole cable with the desired length. with no junction cables you will be more safe and you can plaster as you wish. Don't plaster on bare cables tough,, just in case not to make some chemical reaction with the cable insulation.

Hi, sorry to dig up this old thread, but just wanted to say thanks for your idea and I'm sure it will help me in the future with other obstacles. Luckily, I had enough slack in the cable to be able to take it left slightly and up to the new position, fitted my new back box and just plastered over the old obsolete one. If I'd have used my brain I could have just chased the cable back to the junction box and run a new one as you said :mrgreen:

Back